Jump to content

Old Violin Bow


PascalJ
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

...whether the “rails” to the pearl slide are attached to the slide or the frog …

I assume by "rails" you mean the silver that can be seen surrounding three sides of the pearl.  If I'm right, could you say more about this.  I have seen countless pearl slides with silver (or nickel) attached to the slide, but I don't think I have ever seen one where the silver was attached to the frog.  Who made these with the silver attached to the frog?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Michael Richwine said:

The slide looks like abalone, but the frog is only half mounted, so wouldn't that relegate it to " fairly late German student bow"?

Though half-mounted, it looks like quite a nice bow.  Would you consider half-mounted Hill bows to be student bows?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Michael Richwine said:

The slide looks like abalone, but the frog is only half mounted, so wouldn't that relegate it to " fairly late German student bow"?

What about Persoits, Dominique Peccattes etc that are often half mounted?

Franz Albert Nurnberger did this on some lovely “retro” bows in the 1890s. Even James Tubbs made some half mounted models.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PascalJ said:

The private seller wants to have 500€ for it. I think it might be a good price but I‘m uncertain about the crack… 

The crack can be easily restored.

Can you show a photo of the underslide?

The thumb projection is reshaped but if there are no other condition issues then the price seems very fair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

I assume by "rails" you mean the silver that can be seen surrounding three sides of the pearl.  If I'm right, could you say more about this.  I have seen countless pearl slides with silver (or nickel) attached to the slide, but I don't think I have ever seen one where the silver was attached to the frog.  Who made these with the silver attached to the frog?

Not sure of the cutoff date (I got this information from Klaus Gruenke) but prior to a certain date the silver rails were built into the frog by Knopf family makers. I think pre 1870 …

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, martin swan said:

What about Persoits, Dominique Peccattes etc that are often half mounted?

Franz Albert Nurnberger did this on some lovely “retro” bows in the 1890s. Even James Tubbs made some half mounted models.

 

Good to know, thanks! My ignorance of bows is doing its best to remain undiminished, but time and a willingness to ask naive questions is making inroads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...