Old Violin Bow

PascalJ

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

...whether the “rails” to the pearl slide are attached to the slide or the frog …

I assume by "rails" you mean the silver that can be seen surrounding three sides of the pearl.  If I'm right, could you say more about this.  I have seen countless pearl slides with silver (or nickel) attached to the slide, but I don't think I have ever seen one where the silver was attached to the frog.  Who made these with the silver attached to the frog?

9 minutes ago, Michael Richwine said:

The slide looks like abalone, but the frog is only half mounted, so wouldn't that relegate it to " fairly late German student bow"?

Though half-mounted, it looks like quite a nice bow.  Would you consider half-mounted Hill bows to be student bows?

2 hours ago, Michael Richwine said:

The slide looks like abalone, but the frog is only half mounted, so wouldn't that relegate it to " fairly late German student bow"?

What about Persoits, Dominique Peccattes etc that are often half mounted?

Franz Albert Nurnberger did this on some lovely “retro” bows in the 1890s. Even James Tubbs made some half mounted models.

2 hours ago, PascalJ said:

The private seller wants to have 500€ for it. I think it might be a good price but I‘m uncertain about the crack… 

The crack can be easily restored.

Can you show a photo of the underslide?

The thumb projection is reshaped but if there are no other condition issues then the price seems very fair.

4 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

I assume by "rails" you mean the silver that can be seen surrounding three sides of the pearl.  If I'm right, could you say more about this.  I have seen countless pearl slides with silver (or nickel) attached to the slide, but I don't think I have ever seen one where the silver was attached to the frog.  Who made these with the silver attached to the frog?

Not sure of the cutoff date (I got this information from Klaus Gruenke) but prior to a certain date the silver rails were built into the frog by Knopf family makers. I think pre 1870 …

46 minutes ago, martin swan said:

What about Persoits, Dominique Peccattes etc that are often half mounted?

Franz Albert Nurnberger did this on some lovely “retro” bows in the 1890s. Even James Tubbs made some half mounted models.

Good to know, thanks! My ignorance of bows is doing its best to remain undiminished, but time and a willingness to ask naive questions is making inroads.