Maestronet Forums

Storioni's violin type "Flumio"

Fotios

Hello,
I would like to ask you a question about Lorenzo Storioni. Mr Gindin, in his book on late Cremonese violin makers, talks about a Storioni violin dated 1804, on whose label the word "Cremonae" is crossed out and inscribed "Flumio", which should be the Latin translation of Fiume, i.e. Rijeka in Croatia. Mr. Gindin even speaks of the fact that several specimens of a similar type to the "Flumio" violin are known. Unfortunately, he has not published a single violin of this type in his book.
Therefore, I would like to ask if any of the esteemed experts have ever seen a Storioni violins of this type, or if they have been published anywhere where it would be possible to study them. Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Have a nice day,

Petr

I saw the 1804 violin in 1993. At the time someone turned up a reference in one of the older dictionaries of makers that Storioni's father had lived there (Flumio) and died around that date, and we speculated that perhaps he'd been called home for a year or two to clean up the estate. At that time it was curious because Henley lists his (Lorenzo's) death date as 1802. Now I see a "Cremona" Storioni listed on the web as c1810 and Lorenzo's death is updated various places to 1816, in Cremona. Noting here that the c1810 violin resembles the 1804 one more than either resembles what we usually think of as a Storioni from earlier years.  . . .Which is not an endorsement or denial of the c1810 violin, which I have not seen in person.

1 hour ago, Michael Darnton said:

Storioni's father had lived there (Flumio) and died around that date, and we speculated that perhaps he'd been called home for a year or two to clean up the estate

Thank you for your response. That is quite interesting information, but it seems to be based on older data (I would be quite interested in that dictionary of violin makers you mentioned). Mr. Rosengard, who has done extensive archival research in Cremona, has found that Lorenzo's father, Omobono Storioni, was a Cremonese, and I believe died in Cremona in the 1770s. So his death and the care of the family heritage probably cannot explain Storioni's presence in Rijeka.

However, I would be interested in that violin from 1804 (and possibly other similar late Storioni works). Have they been published anywhere?

11 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Perhaps worth investigating Lorenzo's sister, Telmia Storioni.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused - I've only read about one sister of Lorenzo and her name was Antonia. Who was Telmia Storioni?