Maestronet Forums

Please help, Could this be repair

CWK1979

Hi Everyone,

How are you all?

Could I please get some expert suggestions on this and I will be very appreciated ^^.

I have recently received a violin and found just under the fingerboard, there is a big black patch of some sort of ink or dye stained on the varnish of the violin( Please see photos attached below).

I am not a violin Luthier and the nearest violin luthier is like hours away.

Could any expert here can kindly give me any suggestions if that " black patch " could be remove or it is just is waste of time to find a violin luthier and eventually find out is not possible.

Deeply appreciated and thank you everyone

Sincerely

Adam.

thumbnail_IMG_4167.thumb.jpg.df4680969b86a3b2916826d3d5ffb474.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0411.thumb.jpg.431b13143277cffbde2af3984528a938.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0415.thumb.jpg.d59e0a86cb0e1e2d0874ce5154a689cf.jpg

I hadn't noticed it before but one of the seven violins hanging over my desk has the same black patch which I'm sure original and not an accumulation of rosin or dirt. I've no idea why George Craske varnished the instrument in this way.

SAM_6610r.jpg

4 hours ago, matesic said:

I hadn't noticed it before but one of the seven violins hanging over my desk has the same black patch which I'm sure original and not an accumulation of rosin or dirt. I've no idea why George Craske varnished the instrument in this way.

SAM_6610r.jpg

I would say because he made instruments very quickly and many, and varnished some with the fingerboard on. You probably find splashes of varnish on the fingerboard if you look carefully.

10 hours ago, uguntde said:

I would say because he made instruments very quickly and many, and varnished some with the fingerboard on. You probably find splashes of varnish on the fingerboard if you look carefully.

Varnishing with the fingerboard on has nothing to do with speed of making. 

13 hours ago, Michael Darnton said:

...the traditional old Italian way...

The traditional old Italian way aside, I encounter a lot of newer, lesser violins that have black accumulations under the fingerboards because over the years the tops have been cleaned everywhere except under the fingerboards.  When I clean under these fingerboards, I find that the varnish there is usually the same as everywhere else, except that it is usually in better condition.

I also think it was intentional part of antiquing. My old german also has darker area under fingerboard, much of the varnish on top is worn and thus much lighter and that area keeps the original slightly uneven varnish (varnished with fingerboard on) and all the accumulated dirt over century. The area on th OP looks too dark and too crisply defined to be just artefact of varnishing with fingerboard on.

I've been thinking, not necessarily a good thing on a Monday morning before coffee. This is George Craske again:

SAM_6614r.jpg

This is 150 years-worth of rosin and crud:

SAM_6615c3.jpg

but this looks to me like pigment- original artificial antiquing?

SAM_6615c1.jpg

This looks to me like a pool of ink dribbling down the sound post crack - badly touched up original artificial antiquing?

SAM_6615c2.jpg

Now I think I should make coffee.

Thank you everyone for all the expert advices.  Deeply appreciated.

This violin was built and completed in 2021, so is very new.

After reading all the expert's suggestions so far, now it made me think, this could be intentional as part of antiquing or some sort of old Italian varnishing style technique ^^.  

If someone does not like the black patch, is there a way it could be polish off without damaging the violin's original varnish or the Top plate?

What product should I use or it is not possible as the black patch is now part of the violin forever ^^

Thank you everyone

Since the varnish that's not under the fingerboard tends to become faded by exposure to light, as well as worn off and removed by over-ambitious cleaning, antiquing could logically include simulating this by making the varnish under the board darker and unworn.  But that's not the case with the violin under discussion here.  The varnish under the board of that one is not just a darker version of the varnish elsewhere; it's completely black.

2 hours ago, CWK1979 said:

If someone does not like the black patch, is there a way it could be polish off without damaging the violin's original varnish or the Top plate?

Probably, if the fingerboard or the top is removed to provide better access. But I wouldn't think that altering the original varnish or antiquing strategy would be likely to enhance the value of the violin. More likely the opposite.

5 hours ago, CWK1979 said:

If someone does not like the "black patch," then it would be best if they bought a different violin. It would be defacement to remove or alter it.

5 hours ago, CWK1979 said:

…If someone does not like the black patch, is there a way it could be polish off without damaging the violin's original varnish or the Top plate?

Yes, if it is dirt and rosin on top of the original varnish.

No, if. it is part of the original varnish or original antiquing.

17 hours ago, Televet said:

This is the Craig Tucker violin. @Chistopher Jacoby definitely varnished it with the board on. You can ask him directly if you like.

He is a very fine fellow.

Good eye, Televet!