Maestronet Forums

Laponite mixing?

FiddleDoug

33 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

Does anyone have any mixing instructions for Laponite?

It may be that others have a specific ratio, but I simply place a small amount of Laponite with water in a small bottle and agitate to mix. The ratio can be altered to achieve a workable poultice for the job at hand. Relatively little of the stuff can go a long way.

10 hours ago, Jerry Lynn said:

I do like Jeff does. It doesn’t gel with distilled/deionized water, seems to require a mineral content of some kind.  At the time of mixing, you can also incorporate some solvents…

That’s very interesting! Must need some ions to get the water to form cells around the Laponite particles. Have you ever added a little Triton-X to the gel?

3 hours ago, FiddleDoug said:

That’s very interesting! Must need some ions to get the water to form cells around the Laponite particles. Have you ever added a little Triton-X to the gel?

No.... I haven't used Triton x-100 in a while.  I have my doubts that you can never really get it to wash out of the wood.   I've heard of some switching to surfinol for that reason.  The beauty of laponite is that you can mix it till it's fairly "loose."  On it's own, it does a great job of opening cracks.  You can apply a more watery mix to a string and lay it on a crack, cover with a piece of cling film and wait.