Maestronet Forums

Neuner und Hornsteiner 1812

PascalJ

Whatever it is, it is later than 1812, probably the end of 19th C. The one from the date would have been written like a present day “i” rather than a “1”. I presume it is from the Markneukirchen area, although I would need more pictures

More data: The paper is absolutely wrong for the date, since laid paper was pretty much exclusively used before the advent of pulp paper in 1850 and coated papers like copy paper in roughly the mid 20th Century. The label is also wrong for the supposed time. There's an interesting history of Mittenwald merchant-manufacturers here.

7 hours ago, Michael Richwine said:

More data: The paper is absolutely wrong for the date, since laid paper was pretty much exclusively used before the advent of pulp paper in 1850 and coated papers like copy paper in roughly the mid 20th Century. The label is also wrong for the supposed time. There's an interesting history of Mittenwald merchant-manufacturers here.

Thanks for the reminder! That's of course the most relevant essay actually available about the 19th century Mittenwald making.

So I have to correct me about the date when the N&H firm was established, what happened obviously somehow "before 1815" as it is explained there (exact date unknown). What can't be found during the first half of the century are labels bearing this name. During the first decades all labels were still signed as "Mathias Neuner" in different variations, and the Neuner & Hornsteiner firm name pops up maybe about 1861 (that's mentioned by Lüttgendorf). OTOH I had a violin with an 1862 dated Mathias Neuner label (s.below, imprinted letters). so both seem to have been used simultaneously for a while.

At least a label like the pictured from 1812 is an anchronism. In regards of the violin itself isn't much to tell by the unfossed photos, but the purfling looks like the wide dark/narrow white type which would be typical for a Markneukirchen from the end of the 19th century onwards.

18.10.2008 15-44-36_0018.jpg