Maestronet Forums

Another eBay fake?

There are auctions in France that annually sell dozens and dozens of these kinds of violins very cheaply. There are sellers on eBay who apparently have a business model of buying these violins and bows, and then re-selling them on eBay at a profit. Some of them are "tarted-up" with fake brands, labels, and antiquing; others are simply flipped directly as-is.

On 6/29/2022 at 3:51 PM, GeorgeH said:

There are auctions in France that annually sell dozens and dozens of these kinds of violins very cheaply. There are sellers on eBay who apparently have a business model of buying these violins and bows, and then re-selling them on eBay at a profit. Some of them are "tarted-up" with fake brands, labels, and antiquing; others are simply flipped directly as-is.

Some MN members also buying at auctions and reselling after (some of them use Ebay also). I hope choosing 2nd version only :D 

2 hours ago, mathieu valde said:

Some MN members also buying at auctions and reselling after (some of them use Ebay also). I hope choosing 2nd version only :D 

This is true; and I share your hope.

I don't know of any equivalent auctions in the US that annually sell 100's of these cheap old violins and bows like the auctions in France. I am also not familiar with any American eBay sellers who have endless streams of them to sell internationally through eBay. These sellers all seem to be in France, and most of the violins seem to be low-grade Mirecourt production or facisimlies thereof. 

3 hours ago, mathieu valde said:

Some MN members also buying at auctions and reselling after (some of them use Ebay also)

Isn't this what violin restorers (or restorers and dealers of antiques in general) are supposed to do?

I think this mustn't mixed together with deliberately altering, "tarting up", faking and misrepresenting. I hope you just made a thoughtless joke and didn't want to sound offensive.

2 hours ago, Blank face said:

Isn't this what violin restorers (or restorers and dealers of antiques in general) are supposed to do?

I think this mustn't mixed together with deliberately altering, "tarting up", faking and misrepresenting. I hope you just made a thoughtless joke and didn't want to sound offensive.

I personally have nothing against honest sellers on EB. Quite contrary. There are prejudices sometimes in some posts (will not mention names :D) against all EB sellers.