Maestronet Forums

Zyg, von Baehr, other living makers?

Any general acoustical and physical characteristics of these makers that make each of them unique?  Any other great makers that I should look out for that will also be a good investment?  Hoping it will be my last violin...unless I hit the lottery one day and can afford a superb old Italian! 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Burgess.

At least he doesn't make copies so his violins will surely have a more unique and personal style than a copy, where I don't find anything unique. So in my opinion a better investment in the long term.

He is also older, and it is known when violins increase their value...:lol:

There are a lot of very good makers out there right now, some well known, some lesser known. I just saw a wonderful viola by Joseph Curtain the other day, and it reminded me of one of his violins I saw and played a few years back. He's another innovator - he's got some interesting and unique features on his instruments although from arm's length they look traditional (i.e. "not weird"). Andranik Gaybarian is a Boston-based maker getting more notice lately - his instruments are "traditional" in pattern (Strad or GDG) but very nice, soloist quality (Gil Shaham regularly plays one). Around this area (Albuquerque) Christian Pedersen has a growing reputation as an excellent maker. 

16 hours ago, jezzupe said:

https://tomcroenviolins.com/

I always like Tom's work

I love his work. I currently do not own one. But at a bargain price?

Would it be possible to make this more of a game? Of those who visit these forums, how many can name ten living makers of their interest? I also love Bill Scott, recently popping up in a post. I currently own at least three ex- Weisshaar employee instruments but I paid what was necessary to acquire them. Chicago - Yes! locate one... 

How about a Buen? I worked for an investment "group" pre- internet, where intensive research was accomplished over the phones. Charts were made and discussions were intensive. Being a researcher, we were unable to express opinions unless someone pulled "us" aside to discuss the specifics. What would a Buen cost now and what would it cost decades from now?

So charts? Specifics can be discussed.

The early instruments by current restorers. Rare family members. Many of the women makers are severely overlooked. 

I can not tell you how makers have been discussed over Omelets. I stopped having breakfast meetings because the most aggressive investors asked for breakfast. Spinach, by the way unless over easy on Rye. 

These questions are always a little rife... I feel like I'll forget someone and offend others.

But if I were cash in hand to buy a modern maker's violin, I would buy Andrew Ryan, Frank Ravatin, Ryan Soltis, Ben Ruth, Von Baehr, Melvin Goldsmith, Philippe Girardin. Big money; worth it.

Three younger makers whose work has really blown my hair back recently have been Kristin Siegfried Ballenger, Dan Gillespie, and Meike Aupperle. There are a dozen others, and more. Violins have been improving steadily the last twenty years, no doubt...

On 6/29/2022 at 11:08 AM, Davide Sora said:

David Burgess.

At least he doesn't make copies so his violins will surely have a more unique and personal style than a copy, where I don't find anything unique. So in my opinion a better investment in the long term.

He is also older, and it is known when violins increase their value...:lol:

On 6/29/2022 at 11:37 AM, David Burgess said:

Check out Davide Sora. Lots of accolades. Plus, he's gen-wine Italian, and while not quite as nearly-dead-aged as I am, is gettin' up there. :)

You two should have started listing your high risk behavior on your websites years ago as I suggested to David and a few other maker buddies... get those speculators in the door!  :) 

20 hours ago, Rico Suave said:

I recently acquired an Antonio Rizzo Violin ca. 2019

https://www.arviolins.com/

Don Noon likely knows Tony thru' SCAVM, nicht wahr?

I definitely know Tony, and he was the first violin maker I visited to see his method of making instruments before I made my first one.  Great guy, still going strong at 90++ (and just celebrated his 70th wedding anniversary!).

I can't figure out a link, but just saw an IG post that said a new record for a living maker at auction was set by SVB Violins Baehr? 171.5K. Formerly owned by Isabelle Faust (she has a new one made by them- and a Strad.)

On 7/1/2022 at 9:30 AM, Jeffrey Holmes said:

You two should have started listing your high risk behavior on your websites years ago as I suggested to David and a few other maker buddies... get those speculators in the door!  :) 

You, as much as anyone, should know how much I have actually engaged in high-risk behavior. ;)

4 hours ago, Potter said:

I can't figure out a link, but just saw an IG post that said a new record for a living maker at auction was set by SVB Violins Baehr? 171.5K. Formerly owned by Isabelle Faust (she has a new one made by them- and a Strad.)

Pretty much any living maker (or those who want enhance the value of their already-owned works, even if the maker or artist is deceased), can play the auction-price-jacking game. I'll bet you can figure out how it's done, and how easily, if you put your mind to it.

17 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Pretty much any living maker (or those who want enhance the value of their already-owned works, even if the maker or artist is deceased), can play the auction-price-jacking game. I'll bet you can figure out how it's done, and how easily, if you put your mind to it.

Do you have to be in the same room as the other bidder? And how do you make sure he outbids you? Thanks.

33 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

You, as much as anyone, should know how much I have actually engaged in high-risk behavior. ;)

Meh... It's easier to be cynical about it than watch it happen and cheer. Hooray, Stephan!! Way to go!!

13 hours ago, Christopher Jacoby said:

Meh... It's easier to be cynical about it than watch it happen and cheer. Hooray, Stephan!! Way to go!!

No, I wouldn't say it's easier. It requires some knowledge, some thought, and some deductive reasoning, over going  on naivety or blind faith alone.

That said, I have no idea whether this sale was "artificially enhanced" or not. Just presenting a different possible perspective on the prices fetched at some auction sales.

And just in case, "Hooray, Stephan!! Way to go!!" :) I happen to like his violins.

20 hours ago, Potter said:

When I hear these prices reached by a new violin at auction I am always happy, but I do not see how paying similar figures for a new violin can be considered an investment. Of course, buying one directly from the luthier by paying for it certainly less (I don't know, but I don't think Baehr sells at 171,5K normally) may suggest that it could be re-evaluated up to there, but I also believe that the increase in value is linked to the name of the violinist who played it, even if from what I understand from the post she sold it to get another one to play (if I get it right). So you have to be prepared to find a famous violinist who is willing to play it in concert for some years in order to actually hope for such a revaluation, which would be quite complicated unless you yourself are this famous violinist.:)

PS: I found this news on Tarisio: https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/browse-the-archive/makers/maker/?Maker_ID=15576

Just saw this on IG, no knowledge or opinion about it. 

I was enjoying the listing of makers, so hope the names keep coming. Especially the young and affordable ones on the cusp of being discovered. (price-wise):).  

Not really in the market at the moment, but eventually the daughter will need a final violin. (final parental purchase, anyway.) She will play in front of a regional professional orchestra in a big hall next Spring- the conductor apparently suggested she borrow something for better projection.... Her current violin sounds great otherwise. 

4 hours ago, David Burgess said:

No, I wouldn't say it's easier. It requires some knowledge, some thought, and some deductive reasoning, over going  on naivety or blind faith alone.

That said, I have no idea whether this sale was "artificially enhanced" or not. Just presenting a different possible perspective on the prices fetched at some auction sales.

And just in case, "Hooray, Stephan!! Way to go!!" :) I happen to like his violins.

:lol: