Maestronet Forums

fired symbol on the back of this violin

22 hours ago, Andersen said:

Hi ! Does anybody know what this black cross could mean on this violin ? Many thanks

Welcome to MN!!  It could mean that a novice woodcarver was bored, and thought that iron cross looked cool.  What does the rest of it look like, and how does it sound?  :)

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/333119-how-to-photograph-an-instrument-for-identifcation-purposes/

21 minutes ago, chrissweden said:

Cross pattée is used in hunderds of coat of arms of various countries and cities. I see zero reference to the iron cross/teutonic cross whatsoever.

Here in the USA, for whatever reason, in the 1960's and 70's, iron cross pendants were considered cool by (mostly teenaged) surfers and motorcyclists (or wannabe surfers and motorcyclists :lol:).  I feel that some kid did this, probably in that time frame, trying to "improve" the violin.  :rolleyes:

@Andersen, the carving has absolutely nothing to do with the origins of the violin.    BTW, if you don;t actually have the violin, please give us the link to the offering that you are looking at.  Nobody here is going to swoop in and bid it out from under you.  :)

Hi All and thanks for your kind answers ! @Violadamore thanks for pointing me towards the good rules for posting on this forum. I indeed found rather strange that a violin maker would run the back of a violin this way; I thought it might be to mark the violin for a school or something like that. Here is the link to the auction, which seems to surprisingly have quite some people wanting it. I am not sure it's such an easy re-sell, so some may be attracted by the black cross, weird.

By the way, is there any reason why one can post only twice a day ?

https://www.ricardo.ch/de/a/geige-amatokoffer-1207722140/

6 minutes ago, Andersen said:

Hi All and thanks for your kind answers ! @Violadamore thanks for pointing me towards the good rules for posting on this forum. I indeed found rather strange that a violin maker would run the back of a violin this way; I thought it might be to mark the violin for a school or something like that. Here is the link to the auction, which seems to surprisingly have quite some people wanting it. I am not sure it's such an easy re-sell, so some may be attracted by the black cross, weird.

By the way, is there any reason why one can post only twice a day ?

https://www.ricardo.ch/de/a/geige-amatokoffer-1207722140/

New users can only post twice a day until they are up to 10 posts. This is to prevent spammers.

This Ricardo site is quite interesting.