Maestronet Forums

What's In Your Case?

Let's play, What's In Your Case? 

Here's what I have:

1.JPG.56dfcfc0372786b0da33673d14f4083c.JPG

2.JPG.fe9f966d1f541f6d4fb34c65d3a91d21.JPG

4.JPG.ca179d18df34717444ed3ae518b70e62.JPG

I have a half-moon Bobelock case that comes with two bow holders and a string tube that tucks in behind. I've hardly ever used the string tube. My instrument is one made in Austin, TX in 2002 by William Townsend. I have a Benoit Rolland Spiccato carbon fiber bow and a wooden bow, maker unknown. The case came with a useless hygrometer and a humidifier that I've never used. 

3.JPG.5b947cecf74a0f5f223226b04a325d7f.JPG

The left side of the case has enough room for my big 'ole shoulder rest which is nice. 

5.JPG.6653006d9f850cfcfa15633761888d53.JPG

6.JPG.7833ef5f4423656090bb26eb8e126a54.JPG

On the right side, I have a chamois cloth to clean the instrument after playing and a microfiber cloth that I like to use during rehearsals to wipe off sweat. I also have a repurposed cosmetic bag that fits in the case compartment. 

7.JPG.7ee423231916efdde755d2d0347710e7.JPG

8.JPG.9a8aa1e014b07e88d88735842d28f3fb.JPG

The cosmetic bag has my trusty Qwik Time metronome/tuner, the same block of rosin I've been using since college, a little peg dope, practice mute, nail clippers, and alcohol swab. I'm looking for a good pair of ear plugs to add but haven't found ones I like yet. 

9.JPG.c743f080345807ee7dc5922098d22754.JPG

10.thumb.JPG.568dabfb56c8c6d1cf2d06b084118eec.JPG

In the top pocket of the case, I usually have a piece of music. Right now it's my copy of the Tchaikovsky concerto signed by Itzhak Perlman (an aspirational piece for me). I also carry a mechanical pencil and a separate eraser because my preferred brand of mechanical pencil only has a teeny, tiny eraser built in. I also carry an extra set of strings and a large trash bag. 

That's it for me. What about you? What's in your case?

When I went violin shopping in Florence I couldn't afford one of Paolo Vettori's instruments but I still proudly carry a piece of his T-shirt. Also some shots of my string quartet going back up to 45 years

r2.jpg

I don't have pictures like you do, and BTW great photo of your quartet on a canal boat! 

For both violin and viola I have BAM HiTec cases with Mooradian covers (sad they are now gone!). They don't have a lot of room inside but I keep two bows (the max for these cases), then the shoulder rest nestles in next to the neck & scroll (it is a tight fit!). Each case has a digital hygrometer attached to the inside lid to keep track of humidity ranges. In the inner pouch I keep my rosin, a chinrest tool, a pencil, my Korfker shoulder rest tool, peg dope, and a set of new strings. In the larger pouch on the outside, I keep a couple sets of used strings, some face masks, a roll of Scotch tape, and a small ziplock bag with some aspirin. These "super light" cases get a bit heavy with the cover and all the stuff in the pouches, but the backpack straps make it OK to carry these around for a good while. I like walking and usually try to walk from the hotel to the gig when I'm doing out-of-town jobs. 

What a fun idea!  I am actually upgrading from my Bam case to a Musafia that will be here in a few weeks.  I'm beyond excited.    

In the case I've got my violin, two bows that I alternate between randomly.  A cake of leatherwood supple rosin, my should rest, spare strings, peg compound, and four different mutes made by Weissmeyer and sons (their disc, viol, dual-tone, and Catrpilr (spelled correctly) mutes).  Nail clippers, the torx wrench for my shoulder rest, a DIY sponge humidifier, and a silk accessory bag made by daughter (it has a matching silk bag for the violin that I never use).

image.thumb.jpeg.dc99234b48adac39db01528c6b7ed876.jpeg

Not shown, but also present are a few lens wipes (for cleaning my glasses or strings) and Apple AirTag in case I misplace my instrument.  It won't work for theft because the thief will get a notification that someone else's AirTag is with them if they have an iPhone.  

image.thumb.jpeg.5f2ed413e0e00d38347ecc171c3b8edb.jpegMy new Musafia is a Superlegerro and I can't wait.  

Fun thread! Here’s my case, a Musafia Momentum. It carries my Brian Lisus violin (1994), a Rodney Mohr bow (2014), a Codabow Joule, and a Josef Sandner bow in the main compartment.  Accessories compartment carries my Wittner metronome (still going strong after 30yrs), a 440 tuning fork, nail clippers, peg dope, pencil/eraser, practice mute and orchestral mute, rosin, and two cleaning cloths (one for bowed string area only, the other for everywhere else).

7E14B081-8C59-419F-A09D-AE4DD8CA529A.jpeg

8532730D-171B-470B-9D63-7B8F2E5EBFF8.jpeg

1 hour ago, kc011c said:

Fun thread! Here’s my case, a Musafia Momentum. It carries my Brian Lisus violin (1994), a Rodney Mohr bow (2014), a Codabow Joule, and a Josef Sandner bow in the main compartment.  Accessories compartment carries my Wittner metronome (still going strong after 30yrs), a 440 tuning fork, nail clippers, peg dope, pencil/eraser, practice mute and orchestral mute, rosin, and two cleaning cloths (one for bowed string area only, the other for everywhere else).

7E14B081-8C59-419F-A09D-AE4DD8CA529A.jpeg

8532730D-171B-470B-9D63-7B8F2E5EBFF8.jpeg

Very nice! I like the idea of the tuning fork but doesn't the metronome play an A? Is there a particular reason for the fork other than it doesn't need batteries?

Hello David, good question: the tuning fork is in there mostly as a way to keep everything together. It predates the metronome by a handful of years. But you’re right, it is a good backup when batteries are dead. Cheers.