Maestronet Forums

Bow at T2 School of Simon?

Not close to Tarisio. Thousands of miles away. Ironwood? Fine for viola, perhaps even good, given how Ironwood can feel. 

The profile of the head is attractive; it sucks me in. But the other end is a mix. I did not bother to read the certificate but presume a baguette. This is one I would definitely play and examine... the Peccatte is also one to look at.

This is not a fancy certificate.

Essentially it says the bow looks a bit like a Simon but isn’t one. 

In previous times you’d have been lucky to get a letter of appraisal for this kind of bow but now it seems every toothpick, tomato stake and billiard cue merits a certificate …

3 minutes ago, martin swan said:

This is not a fancy certificate.

Essentially it says the bow looks a bit like a Simon but isn’t one. 

In previous times you’d have been lucky to get a letter of appraisal for this kind of bow but now it seems every toothpick, tomato stake and billiard cue merits a certificate …

I meant the experts that signed it are fancy.  I see your point though.  I'm not really sure what "School of" really means when you get down to it.

DLB

7 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

I meant the experts that signed it are fancy.  I see your point though.  I'm not really sure what "School of" really means when you get down to it.

DLB

It’s a strange term isn’t it? 
workshop of or circle of would be a bit more meaningful

Attribution

It is not always known who painted a picture. An attribution is an assessment of who was responsible for creating a particular work.

Attributions are made with different degrees of certainty, depending on factors such as style and documentary and scientific evidence: 

• 'by Raphael' shows reasonable certainty about the attribution
  • 'attributed to Raphael' intimates a degree of doubt about the authorship of the picture
  • 'by the Studio of Raphael' means painted by a pupil of the named artist, probably under his direction 
  • 'a Follower of Raphael' is someone who admired the artist's style, but was not necessarily a pupil of his 
  • 'an Imitator of Raphael' is one who slavishly admired the artist, but may have worked at a much later date

I found this list of attribution qualifiers from the National Gallery in London.

Evidently there is an entire academic discipline dedicated to weasel words ;-)

I found some lists that were much longer!

DLB

I know this has been posted on MNet before, but here's my version...

1. By Leandro Bisiach
Well none of us were there at the time but there’s broad agreement that this was made by Bisiach or by someone in his workshop, or was ordered by Bisiach from Nonno down the road … or maybe Nonno’s brother. But Bisiach definitely made it or had it made and the label is legit.
2. ASCRIBED TO Leandro Bisiach
Not by Bisiach, but it has a certificate from Jacques Francais from 1995 so if you’re unscrupulous you should be able to sell it as a Bisiach.
3. ATTRIBUTED TO Leandro Bisiach
The owner refuses to believe this isn’t a Bisiach because they paid a lot of money for it in the 1930s. They would only consign it if we also agreed that it might be a Bisiach and was worth more than it really is, so we’ve put a punchy estimate on it … but it ain’t a Bisiach
4. WORKSHOP OF Leandro Bisiach
Sort of like number 1 but we’re not 100% sure. Might have been made by Nonno’s brother – definitely that sort of thing.
5. CIRCLE OF Leandro Bisiach
This is probably a Linguine. You know, Linguine was always jealous of Bisiach. I reckon he half-inched some of that nice quilted maple and a label or two and knocked this one up out of sheer spite. It does look incredibly like a Bisiach except it doesn’t have any f-holes.
6. FOLLOWER OF Leandro Bisiach; AND SCHOOL OF Leandro Bisiach
It’s a fake. You can kid yourself that it’s a Sgarabotto but we did a dendro and it can’t be.
7. LABELLED OR STAMPED OR INSCRIBED Leandro Bisiach
Get real, this is the violin trade ….

Since we are on this topic, the auction houses use terms to kind of describe quality: like

An EXCEPTIONAL violin by ...

A FINE violin by ...

A RARE violin by Giacomo Gennaro

An INTERESTING violin by ...

A violin by whoever.

Is there good gloss of these and similar terms that Dwight or Martin or others can share?

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

I know this has been posted on MNet before, but here's my version...

1. By Leandro Bisiach
Well none of us were there at the time but there’s broad agreement that this was made by Bisiach or by someone in his workshop, or was ordered by Bisiach from Nonno down the road … or maybe Nonno’s brother. But Bisiach definitely made it or had it made and the label is legit.
2. ASCRIBED TO Leandro Bisiach
Not by Bisiach, but it has a certificate from Jacques Francais from 1995 so if you’re unscrupulous you should be able to sell it as a Bisiach.
3. ATTRIBUTED TO Leandro Bisiach
The owner refuses to believe this isn’t a Bisiach because they paid a lot of money for it in the 1930s. They would only consign it if we also agreed that it might be a Bisiach and was worth more than it really is, so we’ve put a punchy estimate on it … but it ain’t a Bisiach
4. WORKSHOP OF Leandro Bisiach
Sort of like number 1 but we’re not 100% sure. Might have been made by Nonno’s brother – definitely that sort of thing.
5. CIRCLE OF Leandro Bisiach
This is probably a Linguine. You know, Linguine was always jealous of Bisiach. I reckon he half-inched some of that nice quilted maple and a label or two and knocked this one up out of sheer spite. It does look incredibly like a Bisiach except it doesn’t have any f-holes.
6. FOLLOWER OF Leandro Bisiach; AND SCHOOL OF Leandro Bisiach
It’s a fake. You can kid yourself that it’s a Sgarabotto but we did a dendro and it can’t be.
7. LABELLED OR STAMPED OR INSCRIBED Leandro Bisiach
Get real, this is the violin trade ….

1 hour ago, Shelbow said:

You forgot number 8! :lol:

8.MARIO GADDA

We have no idea and good luck!

37 minutes ago, Derek Law said:

Since we are on this topic, the auction houses use terms to kind of describe quality: like

An EXCEPTIONAL violin by ...

A FINE violin by ...

A RARE violin by Giacomo Gennaro

An INTERESTING violin by ...

A violin by whoever.

Is there good gloss of these and similar terms that Dwight or Martin or others can share?

Don't forget "Property of a Gentleman [or Lady]", which, being familiar with the British tabloids, makes me wonder if I should decontaminate it before lifting it to my shoulder.  :ph34r: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 6:19 PM, mood2000 said:

- the attached pictures for documentation/educational purpose.
* source : 

https://t2-auctions.com/auctions/lot/?csid=2199732224&cpid=3799089152#cond

Bow at T2 School of Simon_Tip_ .jpg

Bow at T2 School of Simon_frog_ .jpg

Bow at T2 School of Simon_Certificate_ .jpg

Did you bid for it too? I am waiting for your reply and till then I will visit https://letsgradeit.com/question-category/study-tips/ here to read some study tips because my exams are near.

Bow at T2 School of Simon_QR_ .jpg

Did you bid for it too?

Edited by GeorgeWilliams