Maestronet Forums

Old violins from Germany / Part 2

Balambalam

Hi everyone

I discovered your amazing forum and I would like to ask about some instruments I found in Germany recently.
My wife and I are always interested in those old instruments, as they may be used by our students who don't have an instrument yet or who don't want to invest right away in an instrument. And we don't really want to tell them to buy some Chinese violin online, so the idea is also to give a second life to these instruments.

So, I will post 5 violins.

This is the second one, seems to be Allright, sounded very good, body length 36

IMG_20220615_130531.jpg

IMG_20220615_130545.jpg

IMG_20220615_124947_111.jpg

IMG_20220615_124944_347.jpg

IMG_20220615_124944_347.jpg

IMG_20220615_124940_012.jpg

IMG_20220615_124934_832.jpg

IMG_20220615_124930_557.jpg

IMG_20220615_124919_282.jpg

IMG_20220615_124913_272.jpg

IMG_20220615_124906_872.jpg

IMG_20220615_124901_806.jpg

IMG_20220615_124854_362.jpg

IMG_20220615_124842_774.jpg

Welcome to Maestronet!  Yup, that's a circa 1900 Markneukirchen trade fiddle in all its glory.  The soundpost position looks much too far forward, so I wonder how it would play if the soundpost was where they normally belong.  :)

16 hours ago, Spelman said:

BB, why do you not like Chinese instruments? It would seem that they might serve your students better than these broken down fiddles.

Of course there is a great difference between a 49€ "fiddle", "luxury case and bow" included, set up with strings from the barbed wire factory, ordered from a fishy internet shop, made apparently in a Chinese Labour-camp and a seriously made Chinese instrument from a better workshop, with workers trained to a certain level using decent materials.

Some uninformed (grand)parents tend to buy the first kind of instrument for a kid waiting to attend first violin lessons.

Tell me about it!

Had a cute little girl come into the shop with a classic VSO, strung with what looked like guitar strings. Thrilled with her Xmas present from 'mummy' - but could I fix it as it doesn't seem to work?

'Sorry my dear but I can't fix it - please go and call mummy (sitting in the car outside)  Tears welling up she trotted off with her treasure.

Last I saw of them but it is actually cruel!

1 hour ago, reg said:

Tell me about it!

Had a cute little girl come into the shop with a classic VSO, strung with what looked like guitar strings. Thrilled with her Xmas present from 'mummy' - but could I fix it as it doesn't seem to work?

'Sorry my dear but I can't fix it - please go and call mummy (sitting in the car outside)  Tears welling up she trotted off with her treasure.

Last I saw of them but it is actually cruel!

Had a similar situation. A student of mine for 5 or 6 years, which I had told all about not buying cheap instruments, nonetheless decided to buy a 300 Euro second hand cello, without asking me first. Total disaster, ofcourse, it would have needed a neck reset and a new fingerboard, not to mention new setup, to function at all. But the student had already firmly attached herself to it emotionally. There is no good way out of such a situation. I got told by the mother that I wasn't tactical enough when saying the instrument couldn't work. I though to myself (tactical enough not to say it out loud) that she should have been smart enough and listened to my advise in the first place. I arranged for a cheap but honest chinese cello that even sounds quite nicely, for 1.800 Euros. Luckily, the student is happy now. Such things happen.

1 hour ago, baroquecello said:

............ I got told by the mother that I wasn't tactical enough when saying the instrument couldn't work. I though to myself (tactical enough not to say it out loud).............

I feel that you meant "tactful".  Dealing with customers "tactically" would more resemble Jacob's usual demeanor when approached with a VSO or trade fiddle around here.  :ph34r: :D :lol: ;)

2 hours ago, Violadamore said:

I feel that you meant "tactful".  Dealing with customers "tactically" would more resemble Jacob's usual demeanor when approached with a VSO or trade fiddle around here.  :ph34r: :D :lol: ;)

I’m always tactful and polite and all those things, even if I don’t care what it sounds like