Maestronet Forums

Violin Making Videos

Nice video, thanks for posting.

However, I don't like accelerated shooting so much, they make me a little anxious because they communicate a rush to work which is not exactly my thing, and they don't show real gestures. However, they significantly reduce the duration of the video which could be useful for not boring viewers and perhaps is a stylistic choice of the videomaker to stand out.:)

I watched a video just the other day about another student through your hands. It wasn't the build video that I was expecting, but it was well done. My first foray into guitar making came after seeing  photos of his Amati archtop. I made mine a Guadagnini.

I was surprised, but not too much, that you were his first teacher; since his archtops show a great influence of violin or cello making. In fact, I guessed your name immediately.

https://youtu.be/Q_R_pcNVugQ

2 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

Nice video, thanks for posting.

However, I don't like accelerated shooting so much, they make me a little anxious because they communicate a rush to work which is not exactly my thing, and they don't show real gestures. However, they significantly reduce the duration of the video which could be useful for not boring viewers and perhaps is a stylistic choice of the videomaker to stand out.:)

It's always nice to see other how other folks approach the various processes. I have to admit to using the YouTube 2x speed button when I've watched your videos :). No disrespect, it just saves a lot of time and no information is lost.

David,

Yes, it occurred to me that a major thing that a violin making student needs to understand is the patient focus that your videos show. So, for a newbie, after watching the video by Michael’s student, one should also watch your videos. Really. 

His video is a wonderful expression of what I teach, which is fast, decisive and spontaneous work. Decades ago Bob Bein impressed me with his comment that anyone could nibble through the work if given infinite time but that wasn't a functional professional attitude and didn't really take skill. That idea has done well for me and for the skill development of my students and has made me welcome in any job I've had. It's an idea from an earlier time when shops were busy and violin makers were considered workmen, paid accordingly for getting things done. Very few made the cut at Bein and Fushi.

On 6/13/2022 at 9:48 AM, Michael Darnton said:

His video is a wonderful expression of what I teach, which is fast, decisive and spontaneous work.

I agree - I think that is the charm of the video - your student clearly has excellent craft skills and works quickly, decisively and confidently. 

On 6/13/2022 at 3:48 PM, Michael Darnton said:

His video is a wonderful expression of what I teach, which is fast, decisive and spontaneous work. Decades ago Bob Bein impressed me with his comment that anyone could nibble through the work if given infinite time but that wasn't a functional professional attitude and didn't really take skill. That idea has done well for me and for the skill development of my students and has made me welcome in any job I've had. It's an idea from an earlier time when shops were busy and violin makers were considered workmen, paid accordingly for getting things done. Very few made the cut at Bein and Fushi.

This reminds me of something Pierre Guillaume said to me recently … « anyone can make a great bow in a month »

:lol: