Maestronet Forums

Seidel Strad at Tarisio

From what I heard, it was for sale the past 10 years with no buyers and most of the original varnish is not there either. I also heard the tone is good but not as amazing as others. Toscha Seidel played it though and I guess that’s quite an endorsement and piece of history.

10 hours ago, classicalmusic said:

From what I heard, it was for sale the past 10 years with no buyers and most of the original varnish is not there either. I also heard the tone is good but not as amazing as others. Toscha Seidel played it though and I guess that’s quite an endorsement and piece of history.

What proportion of Strads would you say retain most of their original varnish?

14 hours ago, classicalmusic said:

I also heard the tone is good but not as amazing as others.

but but but The bumpf they sent me quotes Carl Flesch as saying “The quality of (his) tone is one of the most beautiful I have heard in my career…..”. Besides, hands up whoever thinks whoever bought it was too bothered what it sounds like

26 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Besides, hands up whoever thinks whoever bought it was too bothered what it sounds like

I'll put my hand half way up. I cant say if the buyer thought it might be the most beautiful violin he/she heard, but I'll bet functionality played some role in the price decision. 

^I have to think he knew what he was doing, which makes it a naive question.  I can think of possible reasons why it wouldn't have been a good idea.  But for anybody who likes the way I think, I'm available as consultant for any violin purchase over 15 million dollars.  Any purchase of anything over 15 million dollars, actually.

5 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

Should he have bid just a couple hundred K more so it could become famous as most expensive strad?

I'm not sure auction records are that important when it comes to Strads and del Gesus.

It's an erratic and unpredictable way to sell a big instrument, and many equivalent instruments sell quietly for more through dealerships.

All kudos to Tarisio for this sale, but this is not "the most expensive Strad" by any means.

It may be the most expensive on public record. Most of us are not privy to the prices brokered by dealers, or privates sales from auction houses. I’m assuming the buyers, and perhaps sellers, in most cases, are looking for a high level of discretion.

Do you happen to know what a cello might change hands for privately?

1 hour ago, Wood Butcher said:

It may be the most expensive on public record. Most of us are not privy to the prices brokered by dealers, or privates sales from auction houses. I’m assuming the buyers, and perhaps sellers, in most cases, are looking for a high level of discretion.

Do you happen to know what a cello might change hands for privately?

If a forma B came to market in really good condition I suppose it would be offered for $30M plus.

There are people here on Maestronet who are involved in these sorts of sales - I'm just an occasional bystander.

There is a certain kind of buyer who wants the world to know they have bought the most expensive something or other, and for them I suppose setting an absurd auction record might be the way to go.

9 hours ago, martin swan said:

There is a certain kind of buyer who wants the world to know they have bought the most expensive something or other, and for them I suppose setting an absurd auction record might be the way to go.

I simply cannot empathize with that.  OTOH, scrounging an undiscovered one at an estate sale for $50 would impress me immensely.  :lol:

4 hours ago, Violadamore said:

I simply cannot empathize with that.  OTOH, scrounging an undiscovered one at an estate sale for $50 would impress me immensely.  :lol:

I think it would impress any of us!  Not that it will ever happen but I always wonder what that sort of discovery would entail.  What would be fair to the family it belonged to?  Give it back?  Ask for a finder's fee and sell it at auction?  Ask for 50%?  Just avoid getting sued?  Thankfully I don't think any of us will ever be in the position to deal with ethical dilemmas like that, but it's interesting to think about.

Fortunately the family heirlooms I've found at auction and returned are not worth millions, or even hundreds  :lol:  so I just give them back. 

22 minutes ago, Jeny Mahon said:

I think it would impress any of us!  Not that it will ever happen but I always wonder what that sort of discovery would entail.  What would be fair to the family it belonged to?  Give it back?

But what if you try to give it back and they just laugh and say, "Oh, no, you keep it.  We already sent photos to a site called Maestronet, and an Austrian expert named Jacob told us it was rubbish."  :lol:

9 hours ago, Violadamore said:

But what if you try to give it back and they just laugh and say, "Oh, no, you keep it.  We already sent photos to a site called Maestronet, and an Austrian expert named Jacob told us it was rubbish."  :lol:

You mean “the usual”?

16 hours ago, Violadamore said:

:lol: 

Always get a second opinion ;)

Some times I have speculated and come out ok.

A couple of times I have bought stuff that 40 years ago someone in a random music shop said was rubbish to the owners, and they never questioned that opinion and sold it as rubbish when the reality was quite different.

Ive also had times were people have sold family members possessions after they pass, and these have come with papers and the family have completely refused to believe the papers or any of the insurance papers. 

It's a bit of a weird one morally, but if you buy from people and they are happy with the terms of the sale then I don't have much of an issue. If I wasn't speculating and definitely knew something was really good, I'd like to think I would tell them so.