Maestronet Forums

Cello End Pin

Ken_N

I'm about ready to set the neck, and glue my first cello up. Just sitting there it looks cool, and needs to be finished. 

The question is, I don't have a cello end pin, and don't want to make one. Pegs, tailpiece and fingerboard can all be made, if you are crazy like me. I see on International violin they go from $16 pear wood, $28 ebony, and then $60-100 for CF and composition.  

ebony/steel, composite/CF? Do you really need more than ebony/steel?

There's a lot of personal preference involved, but at our shop virtually every instrument gets ebony/steel. We haven't yet found a good use for carbon, which thins the sound quality it mayake a cello faster but there are other ways to do that.. Titanium is almost even with steel but we prefer steel.

I agree with Michael on the carbon fibre for end pins: on most cellos it sounds a lot thinner and weak, and in best case on some it is indifferent. On most cellos I tried it on, the Mitsuke triple brilliante seemed to give the best acoustic results. But it is also one of the most expensive pins around. Depending on the cello, any material can work well (but CF is unlikely).

I will disagree with his preference regarding the bung. I have a strong preference for the Bender bung, and it is my impression that it is becoming the standard for many european makers. Excellent grip and acoustic results, as long as you stay away from the carbon fibre end pins.

Oh I absolutely agree on the Bender. Easy to install, great design and feels good in the hand. Very sexy. But they sell everything except steel pins so I have to pass. I'm not going to run all over to assemble an endpin from different sources when I can buy one that works fine for $40 from my usual supplier, no nonsense included.

My cello playing partner is rabid about the smallest nuances of setups and I have to be able to offer steel at least as a choice to try. And that's where we end up 100% of the time. So no Bender.

Yes, steel and wood works ok on practically all cellos. So if all you want is a sturdy end pin, and not think too much about optimizing the sound, then such a pin is fine. The sound optimizing through different end pins is subtle and not everyone cares for it. Also, some cellos do not respond to it.

But in case you'd like to be able to experiment with several end pin materials, it is important to choose a bung that supports 10 millimetre end pins. 8 MM end pins are not for sale seperately, and require a disassembling of the whole end pin construction in order to be changed, which is not good if you would like to make direct comparisons. Again, if you'd like to be abe to experiment, end pins that are secured by a screw only are to be avoided, as those can easily deform hollow end pins, or cause scratches on softer materials like aluminium and brass. It is important that the pressure is at least somewhat spread out. Most somewhat more expensive bungs have solutions for this.

12 hours ago, baroquecello said:

I have a strong preference for the Bender bung, and it is my impression that it is becoming the standard for many european makers. Excellent grip and acoustic results, as long as you stay away from the carbon fibre end pins.

I think it's a neat design, so was willing to give it a try. But I found the grip to be far from excellent. More like problematic, unless a player likes a cello that gets shorter and shorter during a performance. :D

56 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I think it's a neat design, so was willing to give it a try. But I found the grip to be far from excellent. More like problematic, unless a player likes a cello that gets shorter and shorter during a performance. :D

Have used it on my main cello since 2005. no slippage ever. Have recently installed it on a second cello. No slippage either. Have you reported the problem to the producer?