Maestronet Forums

Stupid Question about Sound Post Setting

Hi,

I'm not a luthier (which will be come evident soon enough), just a fiddler in bar bands. I've recently learned how to set a fallen sound post. I normally have mine adjusted by a trained luthier, but I wanted to know how to do it in case of an emergency. This led me to a question...

I've seen nice sounding instruments with holes cut in the sides for electronics (cable jack and or volume/tone knobs). So... if you can cut a hole in the side of a violin without hurting the sound that much, why not make another hole large enough for your fingers to set a sound post?

40 minutes ago, FiddleDiddle said:

've seen nice sounding instruments with holes cut in the sides for electronics (cable jack and or volume/tone knobs). So... if you can cut a hole in the side of a violin without hurting the sound that much, why not make another hole large enough for your fingers to set a sound post?

What size hole are you proposing? How long and skinny are your fingers? When the hole is not being used to access the sound post, would you cover it with duct tape, leave it open, or what?

24 minutes ago, Michael Darnton said:

Same reason we don't put a trapdoor over your heart to fix that: it's butchery and totally unnecessary if you know what you are doing. Adjust a few hundred posts and you'll be able to do it in your sleep.

5 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

What size hole are you proposing? How long and skinny are your fingers? When the hole is not being used to access the sound post, would you cover it with duct tape, leave it open, or what?

What about a hinged rib?

About as large as the control panel on this.

https://fiddlershop.com/products/tower-strings-acoustic-electric-violin-outfit

Not suggesting this is a great instrument. Just using for size reference. Perhaps the hold could be covered with a plastic plug, if it needs to be covered at all. 

3 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Sounds OK to me, but I wouldn't recommend retrofitting one on a Strad, or any other instrument which derives value from being in somewhat original condition.

No-one would know. The treble side C bout rib would be a secret trap door that requires a special technique to open it. 

4 minutes ago, sospiri said:

No-one would know. The treble side C bout rib would be a secret trap door that requires a special technique to open it. 

If the trap door is to remain secret (which it would have zero chance of being able to do), of what use would it be to the better sound adjusters, who have never needed a trap door?

2 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

If the trap door is to remain secret (which it would have zero chance of being able to do), of what use would it be to the better sound adjusters, who have never needed a trap door?

They would have the disadvantage of not being able to micro adjust in a moment s notice to account for very small changes in humidity.

I would be standing by with several perfectly cut sound posts each one a few microns longer or shorter.

All of this would be done in a secret antechamber in the concert hall. 

2 hours ago, sospiri said:

They would have the disadvantage of not being able to micro adjust in a moment s notice to account for very small changes in humidity.

I would be standing by with several perfectly cut sound posts each one a few microns longer or shorter.

All of this would be done in a secret antechamber in the concert hall. 

Cool, if you can negotiate a contract which pays you for your standby time.

If you were being payed per mm of soundpost movement, I might need to object, since it wouldn't be the best thing for long-term health of the fiddle. ;)

17 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Cool, if you can negotiate a contract which pays you for your standby time.

If you were being payed per mm of soundpost movement, I might need to object, since it wouldn't be the best thing for long-term health of the fiddle. ;)

Micrometer not millimeter. 

Vengerov will be fawning at my feet. Just you wait n see.

19 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

Or another approach :unsure:

We used to do that for young Viola students on 1/2 and 3/4 violins tuned as violas: Small instruments can produce at least some sound of the C string that way. Do not think you can perform this trick without training in soundpost fitting!