Maestronet Forums

W.E Hill&Sons bow mark IDing

Any idea about who might be the maker of this bow?

I didn't find any information on internet about the A marking, usually on Hill bows it should be a number.

The tip maybe has no mark? I can't tell if there is any because the plate is too scratchy.

Feel free to say anything because I'm still able to get a refund on this bow within the next couple weeks.

Hill2.png

Hill1.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 09.38.23.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 09.39.49.png

1093083765_ScreenShot2022-05-16at09_39_58.png

Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 12.37.08.png

Edited by SpicyChickenOil
Add information

The letter -- A on this bow -- was used in the Hill shop to match a particular frog to a particular stick.  There should also be an A on the stick in the frog-mounting area if the frog and the stick were originally matched to each other.  If there is no A on the stick, this is probably not its original frog.

The maker's mark on the head of this bow is the two nicks that point towards the frog from the corners at the narrow end of the hair mortise.  This is said to be the mark of William Grieve Johnson, applied to bows that he made before 1904.  But Hill bow production is said to have been so standardized that Johnson (and the other Hill makers) did not make Johnson bows; he made Hill bows.

Edit:  The maker's mark on the bow shown in Dwight Brown's link is said to be the one Johnson used after 1904.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2022 at 5:40 AM, mood2000 said:

Exactly,

the bow made by William Grieve Johnston, Pre 1904 

W.E Hill&Sons bow mark IDing 1 .jpeg

W.E Hill&Sons bow mark IDing 5 .jpeg

W.E Hill&Sons bow mark IDing 6 .jpeg

Reference: THE HILL BOW MAKERS : 1880 - 1962 

https://www.bvma.org.uk/shop/the-hill-bow-makers-1880-1962

Thanks a lot. I will surely save your post. It is very useful for me and now I can easily find the maker of the Bow. With the help of those pictures which you have shared in your post is really very informative for me. I am so glad I was searching for this https://edubirdie.net/blog/is-edubirdie-legal-or-cheating website on google search because while searching for it online, I found your post.

Thanks a lot. I will surely save your post. It is very useful for me and now I can easily find the maker of Bow.

Edited by BrianDant