Maestronet Forums

F-holes damaged - Saxon violin?

1) Violin believed to be owned by Robert Volkmann, interior signed "Rbrt v. F. Volomann en glogau"?

Interior signed "Rbrt v. F. Volomann in Glogau". He is a descendant of a violinist's family around 1880. Glogau was in Niederschlesien (lower Silesia), south-east of Saxony.

Violin in the cleaning phase, minor repairs needed, the signature was hidden under the label, f-holes damaged (Do I have to fix the f-holes: foto A) or B)? - pictures f-holes downloaded from the internet - I apologize to the owner of the photos).

2)Or Saxon violin something between 1850-1880? - Thx for comments.25406109_F-otvory.thumb.jpg.2a9bafa1e23ddb0d7523c52477287eef.jpg

hlava1.jpg

nove F-holes.jpg

patka.jpg

predni deska.jpg

signature.jpg

violin reper..jpg

vrchni deska1.jpg

vylozky.jpg

zada.jpg

hlava.png

The f holes should be left alone, they are featuring a common Vogtlandish pattern and are original as they are now. I would guess it is something mid-19th century-ish

The inscription is by a well known repairer, which can be found inside of uncountable violins from this origin. We guessed a lot about the correct speliing of the name, but "Volomann" wasn't within the possible readings yet (and seems to be rather unprobable). https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/350843-violin-joseph-paulus/

Why do you assume that he was the descendant of a violinist's family without even knowing the right spelling?

2 hours ago, Blank face said:

The f holes should be left alone, they are featuring a common Vogtlandish pattern and are original as they are now. I would guess it is something mid-19th century-ish

The inscription is by a well known repairer, which can be found inside of uncountable violins from this origin. We guessed a lot about the correct speliing of the name, but "Volomann" wasn't within the possible readings yet (and seems to be rather unprobable). https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/350843-violin-joseph-paulus/

Why do you assume that he was the descendant of a violinist's family without even knowing the right spelling?

The only thing I found on the Internet (Google) in German ! Volkmann Glogau !

. . . . . . . .  Diese Geigen wurden massenhaft in Schönbach hergestellt und von vielen auch namhaften Händlern verkauft. 
Viele wurden wegen ihre antik anmutenden Form für besonders wertvoll gehalten und oft teuerst restauriert. 
Der Name deutet auf Volkmann Glogau (damaliges Schlesien) hin. 
Er ist ein Abkömmling einer Geigenmachersippe aus Schönbach so um 1880. Ist aber nur als Reparierer bekannt.

Google search provides a lot of speculative and unconfirmed random informations. I guess that this is from the (obscure) German forum at Geige24?

There was a Volkmann violin maker family in Schönbach mentioned by Lüttgendorff (not by Zoebisch), who possibly were only dealers, but if the Glogau guy was related to them at all is unknown (and unprobable IMO), it's not even clear if Lüttgendorf deciphered the writing correctly, when he wrote that "his repairs look like a violinist's (meaning amateurs) work". Compare: https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/328581-old-label-and-bridge-schönbach-transitional/

I would be very reluctant to rely on any of this speculations.

12 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Google search provides a lot of speculative and unconfirmed random informations. I guess that this is from the (obscure) German forum at Geige24?

There was a Volkmann violin maker family in Schönbach mentioned by Lüttgendorff (not by Zoebisch), who possibly were only dealers, but if the Glogau guy was related to them at all is unknown (and unprobable IMO), it's not even clear if Lüttgendorf deciphered the writing correctly, when he wrote that "his repairs look like a violinist's (meaning amateurs) work". Compare: https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/328581-old-label-and-bridge-schönbach-transitional/

I would be very reluctant to rely on any of this speculations.

The f holes should be left alone, they are featuring a common Vogtlandish pattern and are original as they are now. I would guess it is something mid-19th century-ish - Thank you (F-holes no repair)

German forum on Geige24? - yes. !!! I only found the information here - searching on the internet will destroy me one day :-) Thank you.

3 hours ago, Blank face said:

The f holes seem to me clearly to be damaged. A trace of the outside notch is visible on the treble side and one of the notches has been carved away on the bass side.

11 minutes ago, Mark Caudle said:

The f holes seem to me clearly to be damaged. A trace of the outside notch is visible on the treble side and one of the notches has been carved away on the bass side.

That's right. I was more reffering to the shape of the wings (cp. below, how they usually look like).

The treble side seems to be worn out by the unadequate use of the soundpostsetter, and some genius thought it was a good idea to adjust the other. But nothing what's worthwhile to repair here IMO.

IMG_7262.JPG

25 minutes ago, Zdenek - Lavuta said:

German forum on Geige24? - yes. 

Thre aren't many such sources here for 2nd or 3rd hand trash informations, maybe except the website of a reknown online dealership.

On 5/23/2022 at 11:34 AM, Blank face said:

That's right. I was more reffering to the shape of the wings (cp. below, how they usually look like).

The treble side seems to be worn out by the unadequate use of the soundpostsetter, and some genius thought it was a good idea to adjust the other. But nothing what's worthwhile to repair here IMO.

IMG_7262.JPG

Saxon violin something between 1850-1880. Vogtlandish pattern and are original. I would guess it is something mid-19th century. My version: is worth giving them a chance.

Englan version: Interior signed "Rprt v. F. Volomann in Glogau" he is only known as a repairman around 1880. Glogau was in Niederschlesien (lower Silesia), south-east of Saxony. However, he is only known as a repairman.

German version: These violins were mass-produced in Schönbach and sold by many well-known dealers.
Many were considered particularly valuable because of their antique-looking shape and often restored at great expense. Interior signed "Rprt v. F. Volomann in Glogau"(then Silesia). He is a descendant of a family of violin makers from Schönbach around 1880. However, he is only known as a repairman.

But nothing what's worthwhile to repair here IMO. - it's that bad ?

F - otvory.jpg

Saxon violin something between 1850-1880 (4).jpg

Saxon violin something between 1850-1880 (15).jpg

1155673239_Saxonviolinsomethingbetween1850-1880(12).jpg