Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Violin caught nose cold after top removal


Recommended Posts

My violin had a sick sound for a while, and I took it for repairs. The top was removed, and cracks on the top plate fixed with cleats. Some work was also done on the varnish.

The sickly, weak sound is no more, and there are nice overtones on every string.

The G sounds great, the D is fine, but the upper register and particularly the A.... it has become nasally. As if it has its nose clogged. This wasn't an issue before the repair.


I tried moving the soundpost closer to the bridge, but that just made the overall sound harsher.

I tried a different, longer soundpost,  placed more towards the center of the violin, again no effect.

I changed the tailgut, from kevlar to a nylon one, no real change.

I also put a new A (thomastic dominant), didn't change much.


Is there anything else I could try? Or ask for a luthier to check? Another thought I had, was maybe the violin just needs time to adjust after having the top reglued? It's only been a couple of weeks and I haven't been really playing much on it (due to the fact that I don't enjoy it that much anymore).


Thank you

Edited by samovar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...