Maestronet Forums

Hot plates for varnish cooking

nathan slobodkin

15 hours ago, charliemaine said:

Hi Joe,

I was under the impression that you preferred stainless steel over cast iron. Is there a concern about the varnish turning black over time when cooked in cast iron. Why do you like cooking in cast iron?

BTW I ordered one of the Cukor hot plates. How long has yours lasted so far?

edit:  After reading a few older posts you mention that you like to cook the resin in cast iron and colored varnish in stainless. Does the resin darken better/faster in cast iron?

I use SS for varnish.  Cast iron for resin.

I like to avoid both copper and cast iron. The acidity of rosin and rosin varnishes will partially dissolve copper into the varnish leaving either a copper-colored or green (oxide) residue. And it will dissolve some iron into the mix, which I highly suspect of causing eventual blackening of the varnish.

1 minute ago, David Burgess said:

I like to avoid both copper and cast iron. The acidity of rosin and rosin varnishes will partially dissolve copper into the varnish leaving either a copper-colored or green (oxide) residue. And it will dissolve some iron into the mix, which I highly suspect of causing eventual blackening of the varnish.

I'd agree. While the seasoning, if robust and present, will protect the contents from the iron, there's always a risk 

Colophony contains trace iron anyway, right out of the tree. No need to add more.

For cooking resin and varnish, for me glass is it.

10 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

I'd agree. While the seasoning, if robust and present, will protect the contents from the iron, there's always a risk 

Colophony contains trace iron anyway, right out of the tree. No need to add more.

For cooking resin and varnish, for me glass is it.

My cast iron deep fry pot was a present from my wife's grandmother and at least 50 years old then.  30 years of resin cooks and still on the job.  Samples from the late 90's show no blackening.  Perhaps this is because of the old close cast cast iron.

on we go,

Joe

28 minutes ago, joerobson said:

My cast iron deep fry pot was a present from my wife's grandmother and at least 50 years old then.  30 years of resin cooks and still on the job.  Samples from the late 90's show no blackening.  Perhaps this is because of the old close cast cast iron.

on we go,

Joe

Oh don't get me wrong Joe, I know you wouldn't use it if it wasn't safe.  

I tried so many different 120 v hot plates,, I got tired of always waiting for the temp to get up there, so I took a 2500 watt element from off of a stovetop, along with the control, placed it in a nice metal box, and vuwalla oh baby!

220 volts with 2500 watts of smooth power, lots of power, did I mention lots of power and heat, not even on the same planet, smooth,,,, thick copper plate,,,, steady temp,,,,,, sand inside cast iron,,,,, glass in the sand,, massively cool.

5 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I agree about the copper.

23 hours ago, Evan Smith said:

I tried so many different 120 v hot plates,, I got tired of always waiting for the temp to get up there, so I took a 2500 watt element from off of a stovetop, along with the control, placed it in a nice metal box, and vuwalla oh baby!

220 volts with 2500 watts of smooth power, lots of power, did I mention lots of power and heat, not even on the same planet, smooth,,,, thick copper plate,,,, steady temp,,,,,, sand inside cast iron,,,,, glass in the sand,, massively cool.

You mean massively hot?

On 8/3/2022 at 11:40 AM, charliemaine said:

That’s Joe not me.  We use those for bait...

IMG_1613.thumb.jpg.b444cc4946ea0d12e7c29b42bd517ea0.jpg

Oh Big E, those were the days, my friend,

we prayed they'd never end,

We're laughing and singing all the way!!

We lived the life we choose,

we'd fight and never lose,

for we were young and sure to have our way!

And in our hearts, our dreams are still the same!

9 hours ago, Evan Smith said:

Oh Big E, those were the days, my friend,

we prayed they'd never end,

We're laughing and singing all the way!!

We lived the life we choose,

we'd fight and never lose,

for we were young and sure to have our way!

And in our hearts, our dreams are still the same!

!

On 8/1/2022 at 7:18 PM, JacksonMaberry said:

Nice! Keep us posted 

Definitely a good purchase (Cukor hotplate). Heating surface heats to 400 C in 7 minutes. That’s the limit of my heat gun. With a sand bath it will work fine for varnish  making where I use multiple beakers up to 200 C. For cooking color into colophony (220-300 C) without a sand-bath. Of course my setup will change once I finally make a long over due visit to @Evan Smith and get to look at his monster oven-hotplate.   Big thanks to @joerobson for showing his hotplate. 

12 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

Definitely a good purchase (Cukor hotplate). Heating surface heats to 400 C in 7 minutes. That’s the limit of my heat gun. With a sand bath it will work fine for varnish  making where I use multiple beakers up to 200 C. For cooking color into colophony (220-300 C) without a sand-bath. Of course my setup will change once I finally make a long over due visit to @Evan Smith and get to look at his monster oven-hotplate.   Big thanks to @joerobson for showing his hotplate. 

Excellent, thanks Jim!

14 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Mine is from Ocean State Job Lots.  Under $20....bought 2