Maestronet Forums

Finally splurged for one of these…

germain

12 hours ago, Dwight Brown said:

Really interesting looking case!

Hope it works great!

DLB

Yes very innovative design-  from the way the bows are suspended to the way the instrument is secured in place by being held in the middle of the case by its building blocks rather than applying pressure against the chin-rest and tied neck etc., also the shell is reinforced by metal. Amazing latches that create air tight case.

I had a GEWA air 1.8.  It had such a flimsy shell. A few years ago I slipped on ice the top of the case gave way in and destroyed the top of one of my teaching instruments.

80E84E5D-250A-44C6-BAD5-058474227E7A.jpeg

A1F7D226-198C-4588-A1E9-958A5C2B1BD2.jpeg

360A86EC-91FC-4BB2-BB2D-D9AF3E18FF4A.jpeg

1 hour ago, fragslap said:

$3,000 for a CASE??? Uhhhhhh...no, thanks.

What if you had a $30,000 violin? Or a $300,000 violin? 

It seems that so many cases are "low end" and compete on price per features rather than truly high-end like this one with high quality and innovative features. It looks really great. 

6 hours ago, germain said:

( ... )

I had a GEWA air 1.8.  It had such a flimsy shell. A few years ago I slipped on ice the top of the case gave way in and destroyed the top of one of my teaching instruments.

( pics )

Congratulations. The case is beautiful. I have ordered Accord cases for awhile, but because of the current situation, have not purchased them. Yours was even more and just gawked at distance. 

Unfortunately, we can not choose our accidents. I am sorry to hear about the instrument and your body? Elbows, hips...

We also select our cases accordingly. I wear a bicycle helmet, not a motorcycle helmet, when bicycling. I would, perhaps, except that the motorcycle helmet reduces visibility and reduces the ability to hear, when riding at slower speeds on the fringes of the road.

A superlight GEWA cello case that was lent to a student for a distant auction was cracked by the TSA/ airlines. Nothing became of the claims. Typical of airlines: they are the arbiters, as I submit claims to them. The instrument was fine. The cello case, the way it is designed is vulnerable to such cracks at the bridge peak, but pinched well enough to offer support when experiencing a direct hit. It is still being used. But now it is valued at $100usd? The case did "save" the instrument, but for the baggage personnel ( or theTSA. ) A perceived loss of $1k.

I have Gage and a Gage- esque cases in the garage that have been damaged by the airlines. I think the bulky, travel- ready appearance, gives the baggage handlers the impression that the cases can be thrown. The Gage has a shattered upper corner and the Gage- esque has the lower corner almost scissored off. Again, the instruments were fine. Despite what it costs, for most travelling cellists, the seat next to them should be purchased. Now these are generalizations. On trips to Asia, no damaged occurred. But travels across America have been rough. I do not mind huffing around a 20kg case, but most kids nowadays complain about holding up a 16" viola for 30min. I purchased the cases with the anticipation of picking up instruments from afar... with what I know now...

My BAM cello case latches self- destruct. I think my latest count is easily over a dozen latches for four cases. Probably 20 and counting. A student from a local orchestra will borrow one for summer camp. Just told them that the lid needs to be closed fully when the case is on its back, on the ground.

I rarely place instruments in the rear of cars for the fear of being rear- ended at high speeds. Isn't that strange? I also cradle instruments when not playing, in the pit and actors are down stage. I accordingly have heavy ( protective ) and light ( convenient ) cases for different instruments. It is also strange, that though I have Musafia Enigma and Aeterna? cases, that the oldest instruments are in the heaviest fiberglass classes. No instruments are in the Musafia cases. They are bagged up and sit upon a bookcase.

The Wiseman cases look great. The ATA style latches are a hassle when they get sticky, so keep them clean. If I were the manager of the company, a synthetic fleece cover would be included with the purchase. Someone could do well if they made decent covers for all the current higher end cases made of composite materials.

Nice Arcus bows. Reminds me to check mine.

A case is virtual "insurance" so no matter what one pays, it is there to protect the instrument of $xxxusd in value.

I acquired most of my cases during instrument purchases. The owners were going to purchase something new, fresh. Like a new hair style. I thought about frosted tips, myself, the past year. The last case I purchased, retail, from a "brick and mortar" shop was a maxed out suspended Bobelock. It was the best deal about 3 years ago. Max protection per $ given 10min notice. Purchased an instrument ( not intending to ) and it needed a case. I could have wrapped it in a blanket or borrowed a shop box for the drive home.

Higher end and boutique cases are worth it for many. I have Hightechs ( which are not boutique ) for my performing instruments, when I drive. I have other cases when using public transportation including dorky and faded B&F cases but bagged with covers.

For any parents, especially those who buy their kids the newest cellphones and laptops, you are doomed.

I have two Accord cases (Great for the money and much better than GEWA) I also own three Musafia cases one of them Enigma model. I have to say from the traditional point of view Musafia is unsurpassed. For many years I only used Musafia. Unparalleled attention to detail and workmanship. For the first time I found the same quality and attention to detail in a new age carbon fiber case. Just like Musafia completely hand made.  It’s another amazing option- Wiseman case. 

8 hours ago, germain said:

Yes very innovative design-  from the way the bows are suspended to the way the instrument is secured in place by being held in the middle of the case by its building blocks rather than applying pressure against the chin-rest and tied neck etc., also the shell is reinforced by metal. Amazing latches that create air tight case.

80E84E5D-250A-44C6-BAD5-058474227E7A.jpeg

A1F7D226-198C-4588-A1E9-958A5C2B1BD2.jpeg

360A86EC-91FC-4BB2-BB2D-D9AF3E18FF4A.jpeg

It's gorgeous!  Congrats :) 

3 hours ago, GoPractice said:

Congratulations. The case is beautiful. I have ordered Accord cases for awhile, but because of the current situation, have not purchased them. Yours was even more and just gawked at distance. 

Unfortunately, we can not choose our accidents. I am sorry to hear about the instrument and your body? Elbows, hips...

We also select our cases accordingly. I wear a bicycle helmet, not a motorcycle helmet, when bicycling. I would, perhaps, except that the motorcycle helmet reduces visibility and reduces the ability to hear, when riding at slower speeds on the fringes of the road.

A superlight GEWA cello case that was lent to a student for a distant auction was cracked by the TSA/ airlines. Nothing became of the claims. Typical of airlines: they are the arbiters, as I submit claims to them. The instrument was fine. The cello case, the way it is designed is vulnerable to such cracks at the bridge peak, but pinched well enough to offer support when experiencing a direct hit. It is still being used. But now it is valued at $100usd? The case did "save" the instrument, but for the baggage personnel ( or theTSA. ) A perceived loss of $1k.

I have Gage and a Gage- esque cases in the garage that have been damaged by the airlines. I think the bulky, travel- ready appearance, gives the baggage handlers the impression that the cases can be thrown. The Gage has a shattered upper corner and the Gage- esque has the lower corner almost scissored off. Again, the instruments were fine. Despite what it costs, for most travelling cellists, the seat next to them should be purchased. Now these are generalizations. On trips to Asia, no damaged occurred. But travels across America have been rough. I do not mind huffing around a 20kg case, but most kids nowadays complain about holding up a 16" viola for 30min. I purchased the cases with the anticipation of picking up instruments from afar... with what I know now...

My BAM cello case latches self- destruct. I think my latest count is easily over a dozen latches for four cases. Probably 20 and counting. A student from a local orchestra will borrow one for summer camp. Just told them that the lid needs to be closed fully when the case is on its back, on the ground.

I rarely place instruments in the rear of cars for the fear of being rear- ended at high speeds. Isn't that strange? I also cradle instruments when not playing, in the pit and actors are down stage. I accordingly have heavy ( protective ) and light ( convenient ) cases for different instruments. It is also strange, that though I have Musafia Enigma and Aeterna? cases, that the oldest instruments are in the heaviest fiberglass classes. No instruments are in the Musafia cases. They are bagged up and sit upon a bookcase.

The Wiseman cases look great. The ATA style latches are a hassle when they get sticky, so keep them clean. If I were the manager of the company, a synthetic fleece cover would be included with the purchase. Someone could do well if they made decent covers for all the current higher end cases made of composite materials.

Nice Arcus bows. Reminds me to check mine.

I use “Cushy” cover for now. I don’t want scratches on that gorgeous carbon fiber finish. 

19 hours ago, fragslap said:

$3,000 for a CASE??? Uhhhhhh...no, thanks.

I often wish people would pay a bit more for a case. For many, the case is just an afterthought.

Over the years, I’ve restored numerous good instruments, which became damaged in cheap cases. A lot of that would have been avoided, or the damage much reduced, had they been in better cases.

I once asked one of the main insurers in the UK, how they viewed the quality of case, against the value of the instrument within. The reply was that this was a bit of a grey area, but in a substantial claim, they would potentially look at this, and it may be deemed that adequate responsibility was not taken by the owner.

I used to have a client, who carried around a very nice Milan period Guadagnini in a £30 polystyrene case, with one zip broken. Their reason was that the case was nice and light, which undoubtedly it was, but would crush like a paper cup at the first sign of trouble.

If we could only get case makers to asses and publish crush and impact resistance specs...

I have a very old nice Italian violin in my shop which was used as a wheel chock.  I'm sure its owner thought it was in a good strong case for every day use, but never considered they would try to drive over it.

2 hours ago, Mark Norfleet said:

If we could only get case makers to asses and publish crush and impact resistance specs...

I have a very old nice Italian violin in my shop which was used as a wheel chock.  I'm sure its owner thought it was in a good strong case for every day use, but never considered they would try to drive over it.

I'm not sure if Dimitri Musafia publishes exact figures but there is a picture of one of his cases with a Mercedes-Benz parked on top of it! I had one save my Matsuda violin and good bows from an accident(it was still in tune!).  Do I buy his cases? Yes indeed. 

DLB

27 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

^Maybe the best case is no case -- nobody would lay a naked violin on the ground to start with

I remember (long ago, but still within MN years) reading a story about a kid that wanted to play the violin.  The family was poor.  He did get a violin, but no case.  He used a brown paper bag.

LOL.  That detail really stuck with me.  Did anyone EVER use only a paper bag as a case?  Even a cardboard box tied up with string is believable...but a paper bag?

It's quite a pretty case, but I would be concerned about the 'air tight' seal. The ability to vent warming (and therefore expanding) air is pretty important to stop potentially catastrophic changes in RH.  I don't have them to hand, but Dmitri has published some fairly interesting data about what goes on in sealed vs vented cases as they warm up.

At least there are a number of good choices available these days. I remember as a kid there was Jaeger and there was crap.  I had crap.

There were some nice Hill cases too but they were not available that much in my neck of the woods.

I don't ever remember being envious of anyone else's instrument but I did covet one of those fancy cases :-)

DLB

There's an individual in our community orchestra who has a violin (albeit inexpensive) in a case (also inexpensive) that has a homemade soft cover (large padded bag)... all of which occasionally get put in a large plastic bag for an added layer of protection...:blink:

...just sayin'...^_^

2 hours ago, Rue said:

I remember (long ago, but still within MN years) reading a story about a kid that wanted to play the violin.  The family was poor.  He did get a violin, but no case.  He used a brown paper bag.

LOL.  That detail really stuck with me.  Did anyone EVER use only a paper bag as a case?  Even a cardboard box tied up with string is believable...but a paper bag?

I'm not sure a brown paper bag would be much better than just carrying the violin by the neck, unless concealment of such a sissy instrument was necessary to prevent the neighborhood bullies from beating you up. :)

Ha!  That's what I was thinking...maybe it looked like a bottle of whiskey in a brown paper bag, which would be way cooler for a 9-year old to be carrying. ^_^

2 hours ago, Televet said:

It's quite a pretty case, but I would be concerned about the 'air tight' seal. The ability to vent warming (and therefore expanding) air is pretty important to stop potentially catastrophic changes in RH.  I don't have them to hand, but Dmitri has published some fairly interesting data about what goes on in sealed vs vented cases as they warm up.

Good point except airtight case ensures stable humidity when I drop the Boveda in it. Temperature is not a concern for me as I never leave instrument in a hot car, sunlight exposure etc., 

I'd second the concerns about an airtight case, boveda or no. 

Imagine your fiddle is comfy in it's regulated humidity case environment. You go into the pit to play in an opera orchestra. You open the case and all of a sudden, the environment is immediately very different - quite dry from the HVAC system keeping the massive building warm in a cold winter. Your instrument now has no choice but to rapidly give up it's moisture to the surrounding air, and it's the speed of climatic changes that represent the biggest threat. 

My suggestion would be to keep the instrument in a silk (real silk) bag inside the case, get to your chair early, and open the case, leaving the fiddle in the silk, for as long as possible before taking it out to play. Extend the window of acclimatization for as long as you can, so that the adjustment can be gradual.