Maestronet Forums

Odd Violin Identification

MaryS

Hello! 

This violin came in and I'm not sure what to think of it. Does anyone have an idea of who this was made by and how much it may be worth? I am still rather inexperienced and have never seen one like this. 

-Mary

20220510_163128.jpg

20220510_163136.jpg

20220510_163140.jpg

20220510_163213.jpg

20220510_163144.jpg

20220510_163220.jpg

20220510_163232.jpg

20220510_163241.jpg

1 hour ago, Michael Richwine said:

My clientele, fiddlers, would like the birdseye maple and the long body. Can often be set up to produce the "bright/dark" sound fiddlers like. Need to have a good look at that scroll and the saddle crack. Still not gonna bring a lot of money, though.

I was thinking of purchasing it because I do enjoy the sound and looks of it. They're asking $2000. Is that too much? (I thought it might be)

2 hours ago, Michael Richwine said:

My clientele, fiddlers, would like the birdseye maple and the long body. Can often be set up to produce the "bright/dark" sound fiddlers like. Need to have a good look at that scroll and the saddle crack. Still not gonna bring a lot of money, though.

With the scroll and the double purfling it has some common features with a Maggini copy -- a model popular with fiddle players.  Looks like the scroll is grafted in.  Others could give you better info.

9 minutes ago, waldguy said:

Looks like the scroll is grafted in. 

I can't see that the scroll was grafted, but it does look like the volute was broken off (or badly cracked) and repaired.

What is the length of the back?

That looks a lot like my fiddle, except the arching on mine (both plates) is higher. Also mine is just flamed maple, not birds-eye. I'm really happy with it. But that price sounds awfully high -- I got mine from reverb for 325$. 

Something I had to do with mine was shim the fingerboard, because the projection had sunk down too much and I don't  have the skills to a neck reset. When you take your measurements, you might want to measure the fingerboard projection.

7 hours ago, MaryS said:

They're asking $2000. Is that too much? (I thought it might be)

4 hours ago, Al Cramer said:

That looks a lot like my fiddle, except the arching on mine (both plates) is higher. Also mine is just flamed maple, not birds-eye. I'm really happy with it. But that price sounds awfully high -- I got mine from reverb for 325$. 

Something I had to do with mine was shim the fingerboard, because the projection had sunk down too much and I don't  have the skills to a neck reset. When you take your measurements, you might want to measure the fingerboard projection.

Therein is a lot of what's making a price. It's an important difference if you are going to buy a fully restored and well set up violin from a shop (on- or offline) with a warranty, service and later trade in possibilities, or a damaged thing in need of neck reset and other costy operations and being left with it for worse or better, from Reverb or somewhere else.

One case might justify a 2 000 Dollar pricing, for the other can 300 be too much.

Having said this, the OP with the ugly repaired crack and broken off volute doesn't look as if somebody should pay that lot for it.

A little back story might help, I work at the shop where this came in. This has actually been in the backroom for over 4-5 years. I found in in with a bunch of old cases and violins in need of extreme repair. I don't believe it has been touched since it was purchased from the owner. 

Oh and for those that asked, it is 14 7/8 inches from button to bottom. 

Hi MaryS,

14.25" = 362mm

Violins with LOB greater than 360mm are much harder to sell than violins with LOBs around 355mm.

Violins with double purfling ("Maggini models") are harder to sell because most classical players prefer Cremonese-maker models. 

I think you could do much better for $2,000 than buying an oversized Maggini-model trade violin with significant repaired damage.

FWIW, I wouldn't ask anywhere near $2000 if I were selling it with a guarantee, all set up and in perfect condition. Considering the broken scroll, and as a reseller, I wouldn't be very interested at any price, considering I just bought a good neuner & hornsteiner for under $400, wholesale, and I can typically find good "maker" violins and high end trade violins such as H T Heberleins for well under $2000 if I shop a bit.