Maestronet Forums

Lütgendorff vol. 2 online

tetler

I found two versions of Lütgendorff vol. 2 online. Here are some links for your enjoyment.

Original scans, downloadable as PDF:
https://archive.org/details/diegeigenundlau00vongoog/mode/2up?view=theater
https://archive.org/details/diegeigenundlaut02lt/page/n5/mode/2up?view=theater

Text only. Some errors from conversion to text:
https://archive.org/stream/diegeigenundlau00vongoog/diegeigenundlau00vongoog_djvu.txt
https://archive.org/stream/diegeigenundlaut02lt/diegeigenundlaut02lt_djvu.txt

Google translations of the above into English. Some weird translation effects, but mostly useable. It takes some time for the whole translation to load. Looks like it starts from the top and works itself down:
https://archive-org.translate.goog/stream/diegeigenundlau00vongoog/diegeigenundlau00vongoog_djvu.txt?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp
https://archive-org.translate.goog/stream/diegeigenundlaut02lt/diegeigenundlaut02lt_djvu.txt?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

If anyone knows where I can find a digital copy of vol 1 or 3, I'm all ears!

24 minutes ago, Richf said:

I had never heard that a volume 3 exists.  If you want a good translation, look for volumes 1 and 2 of Jalovec's encyclopedia.  

Volume III was published in 1988 and was intended to list all who worked since Lütgendorff’s most recent update in 1922 (including me), as well as new knowledge learnt about the older makers. It was compiled by the Basel Musicologist Thomas Drescher.

Jalovec plagiarises a lot of Lütgendorff (into Czech), but to call him a “good translation” is nonsense

Thanks, Jacob.   I will keep an eye out for the Lutgendorff Volume III.  That's the edition listed with Thomas Drescher, 1990, right?

FWIW it's worth, all the various Jalovec editions are available in English.   Maybe not "good" translations,  but surely better translations of the original German than is available from the Google Translator.  As far as plagiarizing, the "German/Austrian Makers," the"Violin Makers of Bohemia," and the 2-volume Encyclopedia all include the credit "Material from Lutgendorff's Die Geigen- und Lautenmacher von Mittel-alter bis zur Gegenwart is being used by permission of the publisher, Mr. Hans Schneider,of Tutzing bei Munchen."  The "Italian Violin Makers" does not include that reference.   From experience and without offering any opinion on the credibility of such, I believe all the volumes contain at least some information that was never original to Lutgendorff, like photos.

36 minutes ago, Richf said:

FWIW it's worth, all the various Jalovec editions are available in English.   Maybe not "good" translations,  but surely better translations of the original German than is available from the Google Translator.  As far as plagiarizing, the "German/Austrian Makers," the"Violin Makers of Bohemia," and the 2-volume Encyclopedia all include the credit "Material from Lutgendorff's Die Geigen- und Lautenmacher von Mittel-alter bis zur Gegenwart is being used by permission of the publisher, Mr. Hans Schneider,of Tutzing bei Munchen."  The "Italian Violin Makers" does not include that reference.   From experience and without offering any opinion on the credibility of such, I believe all the volumes contain at least some information that was never original to Lutgendorff, like photos.

Are you trying to sell you’re copy?:)

Hah!  No, Jacob, I like all my violin books, especially the Jalovecs and the Lutgendorff.  Now I need to get the Volume 3 -- very rare it would seem.

Good question, Brad.  I've always thought that Jalovec had more names, but you forced me to be a bit more objective.  Attached are the first pages of the makers' list from  Lut. Vol 2 (second photo) and Jal. Encyclopedia.  From Aabenmund and Joseph Achner, it looks like Jalovec has about twice as many references, mainly some French and Italians that Lutgendorff excluded.  Presumably Jalovec had access to Poidras and other sources published after Lutgendorff.   Also, comparingi the Lut. Vol. 1 and the Jal. Encylopedia vioiin photos, it also seems that Jalovec has a different source for his pictures.

thumbnail_IMG_4496.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4497.jpg

Seriously I never found it worth to pay for the informations in Ltgdf III which are today more easily to get from other sources, especially online. Though it might contribute to it that this volume can be found in our public library 5 minutes of footwalk away.;)

Otherwise the book pops up regulary in auctions for less.

Vol. 2 is mainly an alphabetic dictionary of makers. Vol. 1 is a book about violin making history and traditions in general, the way I understand it. If I remember correctly, Jacob Saunders posted somewhere that "vol. 1 is the one worth learning German for" 

I don’t believe either volume I or volume III are available online, you will have to buy the book (and learn Victorian German). The first volume is a journey through all the different regions of Europe as is was in the 19th C (and even America, although you lot would probably sniff at that). Some areas hardly exist any more, since everything got carved up differently after WWI. The second volume is a straight forward alphabetical lexicon, where the various relationships get largely lost compared to the first volume, and the third is an update of the lexicon part, with all newer makers, and new found knowledge on the old ones (where anything has been found). One of the best things about the third volume, is that Drescher lists his sources, should one which to research further