Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Czech Frantisek L. Duchon Violin


fab1985
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey guys! I came upon this violin and I was wondering if someone can share their opinion.

I'm a noob to violins but i like to learn. It looks like a decent student model worth fixing up to me.

Love to hear your thoughts.

 

 

20220507_202547.jpg

20220507_202636.jpg

20220507_202726.jpg

20220507_202756.jpg

20220507_202855.jpg

20220507_202905.jpg

20220507_202953.jpg

20220507_203007.jpg

20220507_203018.jpg

20220507_203119.jpg

20220507_203146.jpg

20220507_203220.jpg

20220507_203236.jpg

20220507_203254.jpg

20220507_203328_HDR.jpg

20220507_203421.jpg

20220507_203555.jpg

20220507_203620_HDR.jpg

20220507_203634_HDR.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

František L. Duchoň was a manufacturer of musical instruments, not a violin maker. Although he often referred to himself on labels as a master violin maker. He opened his workshop in Náchod (East Bohemia) in 1913 and production continued there until about 1939. An unknown violin maker from Schönbach was engaged in the production of violins at Duchoň. This was a similar model to that used by other major Czech musical instrument manufacturers, such as Josef Lídl in Brno or Ladislav F. Prokop in Chrudim. They employed trained violin makers, mostly from Schönbach, for violin making.

I have seen several different violins marked with the label František L. Duchoň, some of them very nice. Evidently, he produced violins of different quality classes - from cheap school instruments indistinguishable from the violins from Schönbach of that time, to almost masterful instruments. Your violin, however, is a common cheap instrument.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Fotios said:

František L. Duchoň was a manufacturer of musical instruments, not a violin maker. Although he often referred to himself on labels as a master violin maker. He opened his workshop in Náchod (East Bohemia) in 1913 and production continued there until about 1939. An unknown violin maker from Schönbach was engaged in the production of violins at Duchoň. This was a similar model to that used by other major Czech musical instrument manufacturers, such as Josef Lídl in Brno or Ladislav F. Prokop in Chrudim. They employed trained violin makers, mostly from Schönbach, for violin making.

I have seen several different violins marked with the label František L. Duchoň, some of them very nice. Evidently, he produced violins of different quality classes - from cheap school instruments indistinguishable from the violins from Schönbach of that time, to almost masterful instruments. Your violin, however, is a common cheap instrument.

Interesting, because I have never heard of an instrument labelled František L. Duchoň, far less ever seen one. I wonder if you could tell us where you found any reference to him, because I didn‘ t manage too. "Manufacturer" back then generally meant a Verleger, who just bought finished Mark/Schön stuff and labelled it up as if it were his own creation, speaking from experience

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

"Manufacturer" back then generally meant a Verleger, who just bought finished Mark/Schön stuff and labelled it up as if it were his own creation

The company František L. Duchoň - výroba hudebních nástrojů (production of musical instruments) in Náchod is mainly known for the production of harmonicas, but he also "produced" other instruments, including violins. He probably bought white violins from Schönbach, at least violin boxes, as other manufacturers and even some violin makers did at that time (for production of cheap instruments). Anyway, I have seen much nicer violins with his markings, for which I would expect a significant share of finishing work than the example of the violins published here. Your favourite Jalovec (Czech Violin Makers) states that a trained violin maker from Schönbach worked for him. Since this was the custom of similar manufacturers at the time (see Prokop and Lídl mentioned above), I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fotios said:

František L. Duchoň was a manufacturer of musical instruments, not a violin maker. Although he often referred to himself on labels as a master violin maker. He opened his workshop in Náchod (East Bohemia) in 1913 and production continued there until about 1939. An unknown violin maker from Schönbach was engaged in the production of violins at Duchoň. This was a similar model to that used by other major Czech musical instrument manufacturers, such as Josef Lídl in Brno or Ladislav F. Prokop in Chrudim. They employed trained violin makers, mostly from Schönbach, for violin making.

I have seen several different violins marked with the label František L. Duchoň, some of them very nice. Evidently, he produced violins of different quality classes - from cheap school instruments indistinguishable from the violins from Schönbach of that time, to almost masterful instruments. Your violin, however, is a common cheap instrument.

Thanks for your reply. 

Sorry for my ignorance.

I found on google one with a audio file that sounded quite nice to my beginner ears :)

https://www.corilon.com/us/violins/czech-master-instrument-by-frantisek-l-duchon

Do you think it is worth to fix it up by a luther? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, fab1985 said:

I found on google one with a audio file that sounded quite nice to my beginner ears :)

https://www.corilon.com/us/violins/czech-master-instrument-by-frantisek-l-duchon

Do you think it is worth to fix it up by a luther? 

The violin on Corilon.com is obviously an example of the "better" class of instruments I was talking about - see workmanship and material. That's not the case with your violin. As far as your violin is concerned, I don't see any serious problem other than the crack at the saddle, which should definitely be repaired or it will get bigger. Whether it makes sense to take it to a violin maker is for you to judge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...