Maestronet Forums

Select an oil varnish brush

Arsalan

Hello everyone 

I have used a few different varnish brushes , including joha type S  and a few more, I have not yet found what I am really satisfied with, 

I appreciate if you can tell me what you recommend for oil varnishing, with the model and make and if possible pic. 
thank you very much in advance 

2 hours ago, Arsalan said:

Hello everyone 

I have used a few different varnish brushes , including joha type S  and a few more, I have not yet found what I am really satisfied with, 

I appreciate if you can tell me what you recommend for oil varnishing, with the model and make and if possible pic. 

Maxine's Mop

I had a colleague who spent all day, every day varnishing instruments with a proprietary oil varnish at the shop where I worked. Still does, AFAIK. All he ever used were cheap foam brushes from a local big box store. As a old school custom finisher and faux finisher, I had a hard time accepting that, but he gets a professional result and is pretty productive. Sometimes it's the more the craftsperson than the tool. It might make a difference that his dry film builds were very thin, even with multiple  coats. 

6 hours ago, Arsalan said:

Hello everyone 

There is no one answer, since a lot depends on the viscosity of the varnish being applied.

My oil varnish is really thick and gooey, so I need to use a really stiff brush to have any spreading potential, sufficient that the varnish doesn't laugh at me for only tickling it.

9 hours ago, David Burgess said:

There is no one answer, since a lot depends on the viscosity of the varnish being applied.

I'd second this. I'd also say the Pedersen's recommendation is good, as long as the viscosity is thin because gold taklon is soft. Robson's suggestion is ~also~ goo, because it points out the importance of shape. Your question is very open, and so far you've lucked out and gotten lots of relevant info. 

Bristle wise, lots of things worth with oil, and it's less fussy than choosing a spirit brush bristle. Most natural fibers and nearly all synthetics are compatible with oils - not so with alcohol. As an example, gold taklon behaves badly with spirit. Plastics are as a rule non-polar, as are oil varnishes. 

I have abandoned brushes in favor of cosmetic sponges. 

13 hours ago, David Burgess said:

My oil varnish is really thick and gooey, so I need to use a really stiff brush to have any spreading potential, sufficient that the varnish doesn't laugh at me for only tickling it.

Thank you very much for replying... I use medium or medium to thin oil varnish ( joha assortment 1 ) ... 

I use artists hog hair short flat bright brushes that makers like Windsor and Newton or Rowney sell for oil painters as well as other makers. I use these for both very thick and thin oil varnishes. Normally they need a bit of use to get working well and I start our by using them for making varnish samples untill they are work seasoned and proven. Some brushes from the same make turn out better than others so I have my favourites. 

On 5/7/2022 at 5:18 PM, David Burgess said:

So which brushes do you use?

l agree that viscosity dictates the brush, so does surface tension (“wettability”). My all around favorite is Da Vinci Impasto 7105 #24.

45 minutes ago, J.DiLisio said:

I'd like to know more. Do you use the teardrop or wedge shapes?
How do they handle thick varnish?

Depends on how thick - if it's too thick the foam will tear, but varnish that thick isn't fun to brush either and works better "fingerpainting" or using a non-porous pad  of some kind, imo. I use large teardrop sponges for large areas and the wedges for the ribs and scroll. I also cut foam to shape as needed.