Maestronet Forums

Fake violin label

10 hours ago, Zdenek - Lavuta said:

Do you think the corner blocks (top, bottom block) were allocated later?

The violin was made with the ribs installed freely (i.e. without a mould) on the back, what's indicated by the rib joints pinched/clamped long together without a mitre. Using this method, corner blocks are always added after the ribs are glued to the back, and with a certain angle (not flat) to the back, leaving a hollowed space; otherwise it would be very difficult to get a perfect fit at the visible front.

As we see at the photos, this violin has a completely flat glueing surface at the bottom side, the linings morticed with a point, what's only possible to achieve as long as the back is removed; therefore at a later stage (clear why if one has followed the former description)

On 5/9/2022 at 10:07 AM, Blank face said:

The violin was made with the ribs installed freely (i.e. without a mould) on the back, what's indicated by the rib joints pinched/clamped long together without a mitre. Using this method, corner blocks are always added after the ribs are glued to the back, and with a certain angle (not flat) to the back, leaving a hollowed space; otherwise it would be very difficult to get a perfect fit at the visible front.

As we see at the photos, this violin has a completely flat glueing surface at the bottom side, the linings morticed with a point, what's only possible to achieve as long as the back is removed; therefore at a later stage (clear why if one has followed the former description)

thanks for the explanation - I understand

On 5/9/2022 at 1:43 AM, Rothwein said:

My personal recommendation, unless you are going to keep it to practice restoration techniques, is to use simple, unadorned, good quality fittings and glue it back together as a playing instrument. The ivory(?) lower saddle may cause a problem if you try to sell it internationally, but it seems to be original, in which case you would need a carnet from... well, whoever's in charge of CITES now.

This will not be a million dollar instrument. But if it can be put under someone's chin (on someone's arm? Against someone's chest?) it is worth more than firewood.

The ivory(?) lower saddle - probably yes. I will repair the violin and then we will see (in my opinion, a beautiful and interesting violin).

ivory saddle (violin).jpg