Maestronet Forums

Violin stamp identification

old-violin

The Wenberg book has entries for three makers with the initials JAF:

1.  J A Fettal, Wilmington, California.  "Made several violins in the 1920s and 1930s...Strad model with rolled edge.  Antiqued golden orange varnish.  Very nice work."

2. James A Fuller, Davenport, Iowa.  Worked in Dubuque, Iowa, then Davenport c. 1908-1926.  "Self-taught maker and repairman.  Strad and Guarneri models.  Oil varnish in brown or red.  Some pre-carved necks."

3.  James A Furey, San Francisco, California, who I think can be ruled out.

I'm sorry, but what makes this violin crudely made?  I've not built a violin but I have my wood.  I would be ecstatic if my first violin looked that good.  Finishing other lutherie projects first.

Thanks - Gary Davis

5 minutes ago, Gary Davis said:

I'm sorry, but what makes this violin crudely made?  I've not built a violin but I have my wood.  I would be ecstatic if my first violin looked that good.  Finishing other lutherie projects first.

Thanks - Gary Davis

Well write your full name on yours, not just you’re initials:)

Thanks for all replies, folks.

I've the violin (among others) since 7 years now, and it had a label from a known French maker.

But to me it looked more than a German work and my doubt about the label grew over the time.

So I finally opened it up to find any further hint about the maker and to exam the label:
The label was fake - but there're no writings or anything about its origin.

The dust was surely over 100 years and the inside shows also the work of a skilled luthier.

I opened this thread hoping somebody would recognize and define the stamp.

Surely we all may have our guesses in relation to the initials - Johann Adam Fischer, Johann Anton Fuchs or Johann Adam Ficker or so many others with initials J A F ?

Anyway - I'm thankful for any further information . . .