Maestronet Forums

Pegbox/Neck graft question...

gaseff

HI folks:  When you are planning and then carving out the neck graft material from the interior of the pegbox.  Do you generally leave neck material at the bottom of the pegbox, or just on the sides and over the chin?

This is from Triangle Strings -

1263491249_neckgraftwithwoodatbottom.thumb.JPG.c829e43c99aa297cb4310e1daff03a75.JPG

where there appears to be some of the neck stock remaining at the bottom of the pegbox.

This is from Woodbridge Violins...

1080221830_neckgraftwithnowoodatbottom.thumb.JPG.6c93325b123cbf83e0c4718a66002564.JPG

where there appears to be no neck stock materials at the bottom of the pegbox.

I would assume that the former is sturdier, but is the latter acceptable?

(Weisshaar and Shipman appear to be silent on this.)

Thanks!

-George

1 hour ago, gaseff said:

...Weisshaar and Shipman appear to be silent on this...

They may not mention it in the text, but their pictures and diagrams show cutting out wood from the floor of the pegbox in preparation for receiving the graft.  It would seem to logically follow that some graft wood should be left to replace the wood that was cut out.

Thanks, Brad.  On page 147 - it is a little conflicted to me.   Photo 1 shows the base cut.  Then in the text they say " On ungrafted instruments, the saw cut does not need to go deeper than the bottom of the pegbox."

And then with the internet photos thrown in, I was interested in current thoughts and best practices.

Thanks, all.  I really appreciate all of your responses!

In reconsidering the original question, I think the answer depends on how deep the side cuts are made in the peg box.  By "how deep" I mean how far down towards the floor of the peg box.  If the cuts go below floor level, then some wood would be removed from the floor, and some of the graft wood should be left to replace what is removed from the floor.  But if the cuts don't go below floor level, then no wood is removed from the floor, and there is no need to replace what wasn't removed.  So perhaps the original question should have been how deep should the side cuts go.  Should they go below floor level?

In addition to the depth of the side cuts, the angle that the bottom graft surface makes with the neck fingerboard surface also determines whether any of the peg box floor would be cut away.  The convergence of the two should be towards the volute, or possibly they could be parallel to each other, but the convergence should definitely not be towards the body of the instrument.  The closer the two are to parallel, the more likely it is than some of the peg box floor would be cut away.