Maestronet Forums

Bridge setup query

George2020

6 hours ago, David Burgess said:

OK, but I just had new six-thousand-dollar lenses installed in my eyes, while you probably still have cataracts. ;)

It's a pity your docs couldn't enhance the clarity of what's lurking 4" behind those new lenses.  :P  :P  :P  :lol:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/13/2022 at 9:08 AM, George2020 said:

Hi there,

I> And, more importantly, will this affect the sound given that the base of the bridge is not flush with the body of the violin?

Thank you

Cheers

George

20220413_142659.jpg

IMG_20220413_100319320.jpg

IMG_20220413_101216779.jpg

I think the paper towel wrapped around the bridge will affect the sound more than the bridge feet fitting.

But Marty, perhaps that is a TonalTowel (Tm)

That does bring up the question as to whether the prospective purchaser is buying a pig in a poke here, with the shipping materials still intact, from what looks like a Guitar Center or something, in which case nothing we can say will help, and the best advice is "Run, don't walk!"

1 hour ago, George2020 said:

I really appreciate the feedback.  The violin is new and is a replica. It is very antiqued and, I understand, varnished using traditional methods.  It is priced as an advanced student violin around $5000 USD.  It's handmade in a workshop.  Very happy with the instrument just wondering about the set up. The strings are not perfectly centred on the neck too.   I've added some higher res pics of the bridge. Thank you all.

IMG_20220413_100259723.jpg

20220413_142659.jpg

20220413_142220.jpg

I'm afraid that even the new photos won't change anything about the ongoing argument.^_^ When I'm understanding you right that you've got the violin at hand, just take off the bridge and see what's the result - otherwise you can ask the seller to do this and send a photo. With bad luck, you will have a big part of the varnish stuck to the feet, what IMO would be a reason for complain and refund.

In my understanding, if the strings are off-centered and the bridge isn't movable to correct such issues, as well as a (very slight) re-positioning of the bridge due to whatever, misfitting feet or "slurpy" varnish, no matter if new or old, it's a flaw. My POV, others with more experience with such an occurance might disagree.

3 hours ago, FiddleDoug said:

I also see a rough bottom edge (I also have the $6000 lenses). One could probably do better with a Sawzall! :D

OK, then maybe mine were more like 8 or 9 thousand. :P

(I don't know what the total cost was, 6K was my copay or out-of-pocket cost)

7 hours ago, David Burgess said:

OK, but I just had new six-thousand-dollar lenses installed in my eyes,

3 hours ago, FiddleDoug said:

(I also have the $6000 lenses). One could probably do better with a Sawzall! :D

How are all the European colleagues supposed to compete, if all you Americans have special offer bionic Walmart lenses?:)

2 hours ago, Violadamore said:

It's a pity your docs couldn't enhance the clarity of what's lurking 4" behind those new lenses.  :P  :P  :P  :lol:

What, you don't like my toupee? Made it mahself out of a dead poodle. Nicer 'n your toupee! ;)

Good ol' Tuckseybutter, such a great doggy, and fierce home defender. Couldn't let him just go entirely to waste.

39 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

How are all the European colleagues supposed to compete, if all you Americans have special offer bionic Walmart lenses?:)

You might as well not even try. My American bionic lenses allow me to see the front and back of a violin, and everything on the interior at the same time. ;)

50 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

That and the rather thick looking top

I don't see how you are seeing this, but I will tell you that I was taught to consider the edges of the f-holes as a separate graduation problem and to make them the way I want people to see them, not any way they might randomly emerge from other grads.

52 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

That and the rather thick looking top

4 minutes ago, Michael Darnton said:

I don't see how you are seeing this,

I too will question how anyone could know, or even presume the thicknesses of the top, from the information which has been presented so far.

3 hours ago, David Burgess said:

OK, then maybe mine were more like 8 or 9 thousand. :P

(I don't know what the total cost was, 6K was my copay or out-of-pocket cost)

Probably about the same. If you had it done recently, your close vision will likely continue to improve for a couple of years.

@Voldemore:  I suspect David Burgess is perfectly aware of the 50-um roughness at the f-hole edge of the foot, but like the rest of us considers it irrelevent to whether the bridge fits adequately.
The completely different appearance of the long edge should give even the most dogmatic gap-student pause for thought - even if they do not admit the impossibility of the entire length of the foot except the very end nearest the bridge centre being spaced from the fiddle

@David Burgess:  Please look after yourself.  Carefully.  I'm half a generation older than you and none of my immediate peers is ready for lens replacement (with the exception of my older brother, but that was caused by an eye operation following an accident)

@StradOVarious Jr, @jezuppe:  I see what you mean about the thickness of the instrument, but I think photographic perspective can be very confusing.

Edited by giorgy
clarification

17 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

The pictures of the edge of the f holes show the top thickness being on the thicker side, again it seems like some people need glasses or a bigger screen

Yes, well it is a presumption of the thickness, but I like you see the edge of the ff, and to me, it looks rather fat. Perhaps Michael is right and this luthier loving applied a lip on the inner perimeter and the top is actually thinner than it appears, but, based on some small but loud discrepancies, in craftsmanship, {like not running a file over your carved bridge to clean up the appearance} I'd wonder about that....but perhaps  it sounds fine

All I see is a mound of varnish at the edges of the feet. There's no way that the feet are just "hovering" above the top like that. Plus, the rest of the ankles and whatnot look okay to me. 

Bridge feet do this to tops all of the time, we've all seen it a billion times, especially with freshly oil varnished instruments. I wouldn't send a fiddle back if the varnish sticks to the feet so long as the feet are in the correct spot relative to the bass bar and center line. If the strings go over the FB weirdly, one can just cut a new tilted bridge. 

On 4/14/2022 at 4:34 PM, FiddleDoug said:

Probably about the same. If you had it done recently, your close vision will likely continue to improve for a couple of years.

The lenses my doctor used are relatively new on the market... the Alcon Vivity extended range lenses, which give both good near and far vision without the negative visual artifacts found in previous types of multi-focal lenses.

The link below explains how these lenses work, and compares this with the inherent deficiencies of other types of lenses.

https://us.alconscience.com/sites/g/files/rbvwei1736/files/pdf/Optical-Principles-of-EDOF-US-CAT-2000006.pdf

36 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

The lenses my doctor used are relatively new on the market... the Alcon Vivity extended range lenses, which give both good near and far vision without the negative visual artifacts found in previous types of multi-focal lenses.

The link below explains how these lenses work, and compares this with the inherent deficiencies of other types of lenses.

https://us.alconscience.com/sites/g/files/rbvwei1736/files/pdf/Optical-Principles-of-EDOF-US-CAT-2000006.pdf

Mine are different. I got the adaptive/accommidating lenses, which actually focus with your eye's muscles. In decent lighting, I don't need reading glasses for normal things. I do need cheaters for doing very close work, or in dimmer light.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/accommodating-iols.htm

6 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

Mine are different. I got the adaptive/accommidating lenses, which actually focus with your eye's muscles. In decent lighting, I don't need reading glasses for normal things. I do need cheaters for doing very close work, or in dimmer light.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/accommodating-iols.htm

Cool. A lot of people here will eventually need cataract surgery (if they haven't had it already), so our posts may help help them select between the various options when that time comes.

Just now, David Burgess said:

Cool. A lot of people here will eventually need cataract surgery (if they haven't had it already), so our posts may help help them select between the various options when that time comes.

Exactly! More information is better.

I'm struggling to understand how y'all can actually condone the fact that that fiddle at $5000 doesn't needs to go straight back for a refund. Tell me $350, then Ok a better student violin that needs a proper set up.

The OP is asking about the set up - why is no-one being straight with him/her?

8 minutes ago, reg said:

I'm struggling to understand how y'all can actually condone the fact that that fiddle at $5000 doesn't needs to go straight back for a refund. Tell me $350, then Ok a better student violin that needs a proper set up.

On 4/14/2022 at 5:35 PM, Michael Darnton said:

But Marty, perhaps that is a TonalTowel (Tm)

That does bring up the question as to whether the prospective purchaser is buying a pig in a poke here, with the shipping materials still intact, from what looks like a Guitar Center or something, in which case nothing we can say will help, and the best advice is "Run, don't walk!"

Reg - see Michael Darnton's quote...

1 hour ago, reg said:

Because there is a lot more about setup than just the bottom mm of the bridge. The rest of the setup, and there is a lot to one that's not visible in the pix, is too complex to trust to a drum store. I am personally OK with the bottom mm of the bridge, but a general music store is definitely not the place to drop a bunch of money on a violin, which is a sensitive thing that doesn't lend itself to such mass marketing. 

Put the actual violin in my hands and I will be able to comment on the setup. Not otherwise.

Thank you Michael - I agree fully

But remember the very old adage when smoking was allowed on airplanes?

If they couldn't be bothered to empty the ashtrays after every flight, it casts doubt on their whole maintenance schedule on the plane itself.