Maestronet Forums

Favorite Tools or Equipment

David Rosales

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this is exactly what I have, but a tall task lamp with a heavy base is probably my favorite tool that helps the tools Davide listed do their best work.

https://www.amazon.com/Luxo-LS1EBK-Powder-Coated-External-Weighted/dp/B007QQQ42O/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2CU9UM4SGFPDG&keywords=luxo+lamp&qid=1649086856&sprefix=luxo+%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-5 

In addition, to the above… you will never regret having a very stout work bench, good reference materials , Books, Strad posters , genuine classical instruments ect… provide direction , if a good instructor is not available,(finding a qualified mentor is probably the best “tool” you could ever have …. )  and a bomber sharpening system …. To make and modify virtually any scrap of steel into whatever cutting edge you need. 

Top tools where if I didn't have them, I'd quit:  bandsaw, gouges, scrapers.  Yeah, those last 2 are not single tools... and I also have 2 bandsaws.  Knives, handplanes, and a bunch of other stuff would represent block walls if they were missing, too.

The top 3 tools (as distinct from abilities, skills, or resources) which I use on violins are my soundpost retrievers, soundpost setters, and bridge knives.  The reason why these are sine qua non, should be obvious to everyone here.  Measuring tools run a close fourth. 

BTW, carrying a few useful tools and spare parts (strings, bridge and post blanks, etc.) around in your violin case, besides protecting yourself from minor catastrophes, can make you very popular at rehearsals, and allows you to attract some extra cash business as well.  :)

Maestro Sora's pick aside, without the ability to optimally function, there are many considerations.

1. Glasses, magnification, scopes, lights.

2. Sharpening tools.

3. Everything else...

I doubt I will make it to age 93, like Tony. My tools have had to adapt with ( my ) age. Maybe rank top 10? That would be easier.

Kidding aside I am useless without: Bridge knife, stone, drill bit

All might fit in a small case for travel... I like my post setter, but can adapt a long needle.

7 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Not sure if this is exactly what I have, but a tall task lamp with a heavy base is probably my favorite tool that helps the tools Davide listed do their best work.

https://www.amazon.com/Luxo-LS1EBK-Powder-Coated-External-Weighted/dp/B007QQQ42O/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2CU9UM4SGFPDG&keywords=luxo+lamp&qid=1649086856&sprefix=luxo+%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-5 

Crazy how much luxos go for these days. I couldn't afford to replace the two from the 70s I traded for, that's for damn sure. 

Favorite tools is tricky, because it depends on what task I'm after. But if I had to choose three upon which my success most depends, I guess I'd say straightedge, dividers, and pencil.

16 hours ago, Melvin Goldsmith said:

Best tool is a great work bench

If you watch any videos on violin making, the one thing they all have in common is an strong heavy workbench.  Check Davide Sora’s videos. The two best things I’ve ever built are my two benches.

1.  Although it's not usually thought of as a tool or as a piece of equipment, the biggest, most expensive and most essential workshop item that I use is the room that I work in -- the workshop space itself.  My workshop is in a separate room in the back of a detached garage.  I spent several years building the garage about 30 years ago.  I would be able to do very little without that workshop space.

2.  Second on my list would be my work bench, which I also built.

3.  I have no idea which of the many tools that I have would come third, but my 3/4 inch wide Hock knife and my Lie-Nielsen block plane would be high on the list of contenders

One rule of thumb Is to obtain the best quality tools that are  economically possible for your personal situation. a good tool either wears out after paying for itself many times over , or , can be resold , often at a net gain, if cared for properly. Get the best tools you can afford , take care of them and you will have no regrets. 

Too hard to narrow down to just three tools so maybe a few general categories.  Hand saws, gouges, planes, drill, vise / plate hoder. Most important of all is the optivisor since I can't see worth a darn without it! :D

On 4/4/2022 at 9:49 PM, charliemaine said:

After all the careful wood work is done, I think the single most important tool is "Good Varnish". Luckily there are commercial varnish makers around selling good product.

IMG_1164.thumb.jpg.0f6e7ed62f70b3b56396636109e1b2d2.jpg

Is this a commercially bought varnish? If so, who is the manufacturer?