Shop Attire

violguy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Did Bob look sheepish when the owner said that?  :huh:  whee.gif.a0b494c1f6bff05da5d92c61ad2b7527.gif

I was not the owner, but think that Bob was an inspiration to all of us working there.

A kid from a small outlying farming community, with good ethics, who always showed up on time, and who worked really hard, because he didn't know any better. Nobody had yet coached him into thinking of himself as a "victim".

I still very much admire that guy.

6 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I was not the owner, but think that Bob was an inspiration to all of us working there.

A kid from a small outlying town, with good ethics, and who worked really hard, because he he didn't know any better. Nobody yet had coached him into thinking of himself as a "victim".

I still very much admire that guy.

I completely agree.  Bob was, and I’m sure still is, a great asset to the shop there.

On 4/4/2022 at 12:37 PM, Violadamore said:

IMHO, the white lab coat.  Physically, it protects you from a great many things, psychologically, it projects professionalism as well as blends in in milieus from the workshop to the executive suite (particularly with a badge and nametag added), and morally, it could conceal that you might be either expensively and ostentatiously overdressed, or wearing no more underneath than some celebrity on Facebook (I'll name no names.......).  :ph34r:  :lol:

:lol:

I was not aware until this thread that clothing other than jeans and t-shirts existed. Thanks for opening my eyes, which I will now close back again.

Be it known, if anyone cares, that jeans clean up real nice in the shower with a bar of soap and a big sturdy brush. Better than a washing machine, by far, that plan removes the deepest-set filth.

Something along this line: https://www.amazon.com/Amazer-Comfort-Flexible-Bristles-Bathroom/dp/B07FCH67ZQ

I never thought about what I wear to work. At the shop we had uniforms. At the forge shop they got filthy with all the graphite lube that they used for the dies. I wore a fresh one in, and change into a new one going home. Ear plugs were mandatory all the time, except in the lunch room.  

In the basement I wear a sweatshirt and maybe a hat in the winter. The coldest it got this year was 47 degrees. This morning it was 52. In the summer, it might be a balmy 75.

I discovered that shoes are important. I dropped a violin neck blank on my big toe from the vise, and smashed it. The nail never has recovered.

The first job I got as a lathe hand, the boss gave me a manual to look at over the weekend that came with the lathe when he bought it; way back when. The first thing that they told you to do was to tuck your tie into your shirt so you wouldn't get strangled.

Seems logical.  Yeah, the lathe WAS old.

I did SEE TWO guys have their shirts ripped off by a grinding wheel!  Rather exciting. But it happens so fast. Short sleeves if you are using grinders.

Today I tripped over the dog while carrying an armload of loose hay to the goats.

I had taken off my barn jacket because it was surprisingly hot outside and the shirt I was wearing really really liked the hay...and I'm still picking out an endless amount of hay bits.

...maybe I should wear a lab coat to do chores in? Stuff brushes off that material really well. Hmm...

Would I look (not that anyone would see or care) dapper? Or stupid? :ph34r:

On 4/4/2022 at 4:13 PM, nathan slobodkin said:

I do wear an apron. Protects my clothes, and lets me wipe my hands and tools if needed. I favor the green ones. I have never had any problem with it catching on anything.

Careful, Nathan.  Only the Master makers at Mittenwald are allowed to wear green aprons.  This is a strict rule (according to Karl Roy)!

2 hours ago, Luigi said:

Careful, Nathan.  Only the Master makers at Mittenwald are allowed to wear green aprons.  This is a strict rule (according to Karl Roy)!

Karl never seemed offended by my wearing it nor any of the Mittenwald graduates I have worked with. At Salt Lake in the 1980's it was the apprentices who wore green.

17 hours ago, Luigi said:

14 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Karl never seemed offended by my wearing it nor any of the Mittenwald graduates I have worked with. At Salt Lake in the 1980's it was the apprentices who wore green.

So does all this possibly suggest some sort of Mittenwald-confessed equivalency between the Master Makers of Mittenwald,  and the students at the Salt Lake school?