Shop Attire

violguy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MeyerFittings said:

i put on Women's clothing and hang around in bars.

Sorry about grabbing your hiney that one night. You looked quite fetching, and I didn't know it was you. ;)

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

IMHO, the white lab coat.  Physically, it protects you from a great many things, psychologically, it projects professionalism as well as blends in in milieus from the workshop to the executive suite (particularly with a badge and nametag added), and morally, it could conceal that you might be either expensively and ostentatiously overdressed, or wearing no more underneath than some celebrity on Facebook (I'll name no names.......).  :ph34r:  :lol:

Well, there was the time at "The Firm" when the owner wanted us to switch from our casual shop-worker attire, to white lab coats, which was to be followed by an "inspection".

On inspection day, everyone in the shop dutifully wore their white lab coats, but with no pants. :)

At that time, the owner still had a pretty good sense of humor. He said that Bob (or was it Eric?) had the best legs. :lol:

Bob is the only one from that era still working there.

36 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Sorry about grabbing your hiney that one night. You looked quite fetching, and I didn't know it was you. ;)

Well, there was the time at "The Firm" when the owner wanted us to switch from our casual shop-worker attire, to white lab coats, which was to be followed by an "inspection".

On inspection day, everyone in the shop dutifully wore their white lab coats, but with no pants. :)

At that time, the owner still had a pretty good sense of humor. He said that Bob (or was it Eric?) had the best legs. :lol:

He's got legs

1 hour ago, jezzupe said:

I guess I'm the only guy who wears a speedo and flip flops? gosh now I'm developing a complex I thought everyone did that? no?

Ewe!

I'm thinkin' that if someone doesn't already know how ridiculous "budgie-smuggler" beachwear looks, that it's time for their caring family members and other relatives to step in. :D

wpid-sunsense-anti-ageing-sun-lotion-sunsense-budgie-smugglers-small-35403.jpg

It's quite a good question I think. I was brought up with quite a conventional wood work training to wear an apron. This was the first thing I ditched. An apron is just begging to be caught in machinery and no use to me as I often grip violins using my legs. I work at all times with a short sleeve shirt so my hands and arms are free of encumbrance and I wear tight fitting clothes. I keep a few changes of clothes at work to change between ebony work, murdering clients  and wood finishing etc.

4 minutes ago, Melvin Goldsmith said:

I keep a few changes of clothes at work to change between ebony work, murdering clients  and wood finishing etc.

A single episode of ebony work, murdering clients, or varnishing will pretty much put a white lab coat out to pasture. ;)

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

Damn David.  I thought you won the best legs award! My memory must be slipping.  :) 

2 hours ago, Melvin Goldsmith said:

It's quite a good question I think. I was brought up with quite a conventional wood work training to wear an apron. This was the first thing I ditched. An apron is just begging to be caught in machinery and no use to me as I often grip violins using my legs. I work at all times with a short sleeve shirt so my hands and arms are free of encumbrance and I wear tight fitting clothes. I keep a few changes of clothes at work to change between ebony work, murdering clients  and wood finishing etc.

+1. Gripping instruments with my legs and working with them on my lap with legs crossed represents a lot of my time. For this reason I like a noragi or samue jacket.

21 hours ago, Rue said:

The things one finds on the internet...

carpenter-apron.jpg

That reminds me of something my dad used to say.   "Let me see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw" 

My workshop can get quite cold so at times I wear a hat.

Here is a photo of one of my 'heroes' Ernest Sims, installing the teeth into a wooden hay rake. His family had a country woodcraft business, making hay rakes, scythe handles etc which gradually declined during the twentieth century. As these traditional businesses slowly disappeared it seems scholarly interest in those that were still surviving intensified and he features in several books about rural crafts. In the later books his workplace appears more and more run down and he can be seen demonstrating tools that look like they have not been in regular use for some time! He also can be seen getting older along with his workshop and tools but he always looks cheerful, as if he is amused that he is being interviewed and photographed again!

Being from the North of England, I do have a cloth cap which I wear occasionally. I also like and have a few old tweed jackets but only wear them in my workshop when it is really cold and I have to admit I rarely wear a tie.

However, when I am nearly extinct and by some chance or mistake some scholar comes around to photograph me in my workshop, I am prepared now and I know what to wear inspired by this fine example!

Rake making

This same workshop features in a series of engravings of "English Country Crafts" by print maker Stanley Anderson ( see here https://merl.reading.ac.uk/news-and-views/2016/01/new-acquisition-supported-by-the-art-fund/ )

Here, it can be seen, the workshop, or perhaps more correctly yard, is flourishing and full of activity with three men busy at work.

DSC_5578_RakeMakers.thumb.jpg.79aa184c967ac44042aba2d188fb8daa.jpg

http://blogs.reading.ac.uk/merl/files/2016/01/DSC_5578_RakeMakers.jpg

On 4/4/2022 at 4:05 PM, David Burgess said:

This was clearly after I left...  :D

As I remember hearing the story, it was Bob who the owner said had the best legs.  I wouldn't take it too personally though since the owner and you might have different taste in legs...,  Oh!, but maybe that was not the case... ;) 

8 minutes ago, Mark Norfleet said:

As I remember hearing the story, it was Bob who the owner said had the best legs.  I wouldn't take it too personally though since the owner and you might have different taste in legs...,  Oh!, but maybe that was not the case... ;) 

Uh oh, there's a story within a story here

On 4/4/2022 at 4:05 PM, David Burgess said:

45 minutes ago, Mark Norfleet said:

Did Bob look sheepish when the owner said that?  :huh:  whee.gif.a0b494c1f6bff05da5d92c61ad2b7527.gif