Maestronet Forums

Markie or Bubie

Guido

Thanks everybody.

I think one difference of note is that Bubenreuth started to spray the varnish on in the early 1950s, which can often be noticed in an uneven varnish application in the volutes of the scroll. This may be a matter of quality grades though, don't know.

As for the label in the OP violin I have three observations. (1) It was not considered for export, as there is no country of origin and it uses German language (Nachahmung von). (2) The date on the label, which is largely missing, had, I'm pretty sure after a closer look, a 35 as the last two digits. So this could have been a 1735 with reference to Guarnerius, or a 1935 with reference to the violin. The latter might be consistent with the lack of export intention at that time. (3) The font on the label looks more modern to me though, but I might be wrong. Anyone into fonts?

I don't know about spray on varnish, but most of the labels imported in the US (Roths, GA Fickers, Juzeks etc) have a different finish and overall "look" after they moved. Once in a while you will find an early 1950s Roth that looks a lot like a pre war. But there seems to be a general and noticeable shift in the look of finished product, even though the instruments are built basically the same.

Maybe it wasn't so much the case for instruments sent to other places.

I always felt that higher grade bubbas from the 50s and 60s sound better than equivalent pre-war, but I'm probably in a minority on that.

7 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

What makes you think that?

You, when you posted the ever popular piece of American journalism titled "A spray gun for the varnish."

But it may have been a practice reserved for the very entry level violins? I had a 1955 Roth which I didn't think was sprayed.

Later, Musima sprayed on the varnish (which I was told by someone who worked there); and I have seen post WW2 Gewa violins that were definitely sprayed (see example picture). I guess by the 1970s at the latest it was widespread practice for cheap violins.

In any case, it won't be very useful, unless you have a violin that is obviously sprayed you could certainly say it is post WW2. But that may only be relevant for violins you wouldn't usually even look at.

gewa.jpg

On 3/25/2022 at 3:03 AM, Guido said:

German trade violin (not Mittenwald), which I'd describe as mid 20th century.

Question is: Bubenreuth or Markneukirchen and just before or not long after the war?

Any way of telling?

IMG_1612.JPG

I'd like a really sharply focused photo of those numbers .  I looked at the blurry example above in Photoshop, and can't rule out a badly vandalized "55", which would suggest that it's a postwar DDR-made Markie.  :)

Just now, Violadamore said:

I'd like a really sharply focused photo of those numbers .  I looked at the blurry example above in Photoshop, and can't rule out a badly vandalized "55", which would suggest that it's a postwar DDR-made Markie.  :)

I used to be able to take good in-focus photos of labels with my old iPhone 6. But not anymore after upgrading to an XR. The useful distance is just a bit too close for it to be able to focus.

I have tried again, and it is a bit better over at the "label eating wasps" thread. But being able to look at it in hand, I'm quite sure we see the right hand part of the number 3 before the 5. In any case, I'd think it is more likely a 1735 with reference to Guarnerius.

19 hours ago, Guido said:

You, when you posted the ever popular piece of American journalism titled "A spray gun for the varnish."

Bully for you if you can discern the difference. I think far more you will imagine that this or that one is “sprayed” and jump to erroneous conclusions