Maestronet Forums

Lupot or Vuillaume...

germain

22 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Just for fun... a photo or two of the craquelure and state of preservation of the unpolished ex-Bengtsson Lupot 'cello of 1823 when it was in the shop in 2010. A great lesson reinforcing "Take really good care of it and leave it alone as much as possible!" Erling was a great steward.

Lupotvcvarnish.jpg

Hardly any wear to the coating.  Amazing thing. It's home is now in the Dextra Musica collection.

4883_pg2.jpg

That's just stunning.

17 hours ago, germain said:

Haha yeah the story was that Pique who had developed an amazing varnish just outside of Paris was the supplier to Lupot. I am pretty sure that’s what I heard  from Rene Morell although I was more interested in tasting the wine he was offering so I hope I have the story right… 

The letter in the Dipper article is the only primary source document that I'm aware of (there could be more) that specifically ties Lupot to Pique's varnish:

"I beg you, if you can do me the favor at this time to have some of your oil varnish for a few violins, I being short in this time and not having the time to make it. I made some four years ago, that I used up until this time; However, in Paris it is not very convenient to do this, we would need a yard or garden (for the process). As I have two violins to varnish immediately, I would be obliged if you would send me this in a small bottle with rocourt (annatto) to put before the ground coat of saffron, I am not in a particular hurry for the two violins that I mentioned."

Assuming that the letter is genuine, we can reasonably conclude that Lupot didn't rely on Pique as a supplier of varnish for at least four years prior to the letter, but when he found himself in a pinch, he tried to get Pique to send him some. Given their relationship, it's doubtful that Pique would have refused him, but - as Jeffrey pointed out - none of us were there...  

1 hour ago, Three13 said:

Assuming that the letter is genuine, we can reasonably conclude that Lupot didn't rely on Pique as a supplier of varnish for at least four years prior to the letter, but when he found himself in a pinch, he tried to get Pique to send him some. Given their relationship, it's doubtful that Pique would have refused him, but - as Jeffrey pointed out - none of us were there...

In a pinch, I might order varnish from anyone whose varnish seemed to have decent outcomes, even if the seller (falsey?) claimed that it was made from rare exotic ingredients, like snake snot, or hypo hymens. ;)

2 hours ago, Three13 said:

That's just stunning.

The letter in the Dipper article is the only primary source document that I'm aware of (there could be more) that specifically ties Lupot to Pique's varnish:

"I beg you, if you can do me the favor at this time to have some of your oil varnish for a few violins, I being short in this time and not having the time to make it. I made some four years ago, that I used up until this time; However, in Paris it is not very convenient to do this, we would need a yard or garden (for the process). As I have two violins to varnish immediately, I would be obliged if you would send me this in a small bottle with rocourt (annatto) to put before the ground coat of saffron, I am not in a particular hurry for the two violins that I mentioned."

Pretty amazing. I specifically remember Rene mentioning something that making varnish in the center of Paris was not convenient so he was outsourcing from Pique. Thanks for sharing