Maestronet Forums

Nice violin, weird scroll

noidea22

This violin doesn't make sense to me. The body is quite nice. Is that even an inlay, at least on the front? The back looks nice, too, it reminds me of Collin-Mézin. But that scroll, though. It looks so weird. Any idea what that is? The scroll kinda doesn't fit the violin.

weird scroll 1.jpg

weird scroll 2.jpg

weird scroll 3.jpg

weird scroll 4.jpg

17 minutes ago, Guido said:

Looks consistent to me. Probably entry level French production early 20th century. Got cleats along the back centre seam?

I don't know if it is the varnish or it's not well carved or whatever, but the scroll kinda looks bad. and the color is kinda different, too, compared to the body in the first picture.

Only looking at the body I, as a player, would pay more than 1000$ for it, looking at the scroll not even 100$ :D. What's your estimate, what is it worth?

38 minutes ago, Guido said:

Looks consistent to me. Probably entry level French production early 20th century. Got cleats along the back centre seam?

I don't know if it is the varnish or it's not well carved or whatever, but the scroll kinda looks bad. and the color is kinda different, too, compared to the body in the first picture.

Only looking at the body, depending on what it sounds like, I, as a player, would pay more than 1000$ for it, looking at the scroll not even 100$ :D. What's your estimate, what is it worth?

@GuidoWhat are cleats?

Another close up of the scroll, btw:

weird scroll 7.jpg

Cleats are small wooden pieces inside the violin that hold together cracks and seams. A side profile shot of the scroll will help determine where it was made. As for the value, not much. It's a very roughly made violin. Looks to me like a cheap Czech/German. 

@JRyan@Bob K

I'm a pro player but beginner when it comes to violin makers stuff and identifying, but to me, it doesn't look like german or czech. To me it looks like italian style french made, like, I don't know something like an italian-french hybrid. But as I said, I'm a beginner at identifying. Trying to train myself in that regard.

@Bob K What do you mean by corners? Corners of the front and back plate? aren't those visible on the pictures? What are the rib joins? Sorry, I don't know the english terminology of all that stuff.

16 hours ago, noidea22 said:

@GeorgeH@Bob K ok, I see, thanks for the explanation!

does that help?

Yes - as already stated by @JRyan it is now possible to see that the ribs have been formed by clamping the ends and cutting off roughly flush with the corners, which means the construction style used is known as 'built on the back'. Together with the overall appearance of the violin that confirms to me, (not an expert but from several years of following Maestronet) that this is a typical early C20th Cottage industry trade violin probably made in the area of Markneukirchen (Germany) and Schonbach (now Luby in the Czech Republic).