Maestronet Forums

The "da Vinci, ex-Seidel" Stradivarius c. 1714 will be sold at auction on June 9, 2022

I wonder why they are auctioning this violin. The number of people who can buy a Strad are limited and the private sale route would have been better. In addition I have noticed that for the very expensive instruments there are no more than one or two bidders and in that sense it is really not an auction.Maybe the publicity will have an effect on the other items.

46 minutes ago, Yogic said:

I wonder why they are auctioning this violin. The number of people who can buy a Strad are limited and the private sale route would have been better. In addition I have noticed that for the very expensive instruments there are no more than one or two bidders and in that sense it is really not an auction.Maybe the publicity will have an effect on the other items.

Not true... remember the Lady Blunt sale. It will be shown all over the world in the next few months and they are hoping to create a bidding war.

29 minutes ago, germain said:

Not true... remember the Lady Blunt sale. It will be shown all over the world in the next few months and they are hoping to create a bidding war.

The only winner in this War is Tarisio who will pocked 40% of the transaction :P

55 minutes ago, Yogic said:

The only winner in this War is Tarisio who will pocked 40% of the transaction :P

For the record, the buyer pays a 20% commission over the hammer price. The maximum seller's commission is $2,000:

"Upon successful sale, Tarisio charges a 20% seller’s commission of the hammer price up to and including 10,000 USD (or 8,000 GBP or 9,000 EUR), subject to a minimum of 100 USD (or 100 GBP or 100 EUR). We do not charge a seller’s commission on the portion of the sale proceeds that exceeds 10,000 USD (or 8,000 GBP or 9,000 EUR). There is a separate 1.5% taken on the hammer price for insurance coverage."

1 hour ago, GeorgeH said:

For the record, the buyer pays a 20% commission over the hammer price. The maximum seller's commission is $2,000:

"Upon successful sale, Tarisio charges a 20% seller’s commission of the hammer price up to and including 10,000 USD (or 8,000 GBP or 9,000 EUR), subject to a minimum of 100 USD (or 100 GBP or 100 EUR). We do not charge a seller’s commission on the portion of the sale proceeds that exceeds 10,000 USD (or 8,000 GBP or 9,000 EUR). There is a separate 1.5% taken on the hammer price for insurance coverage."

Thanks...was not aware of the zero sellers commission on 10k+ items

23 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

^Maybe that explains it then.  I was just asking how it got named "da Vinci" in my own way.

But it is rare to know the exact moment at which a violin acquired its nickname. In the case of the “da Vinci’, there was previously much speculation as to why it was named after the famous Renaissance artist who died two centuries before the violin was made. In Ernest Doring’s 1945 catalog of Stradivari instruments, How Many Strads?, he suggested that the “title probably originated in its richness of appearance, likened to a masterpiece of the celebrated Italian artist.”[1] In 1974 Sotheby’s offered a similar explanation: “The title ‘da Vinci’ is of course the result of the comparison between the rich appearance of this violin and the work of the celebrated Italian Master.”[2]

https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/cozio-carteggio/how-the-da-vinci-got-its-name/

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2022 at 5:39 PM, GeorgeH said:

The wealthy ALWAYS get the breaks!:P

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dwight Brown said:

And now sales tax!

yow!

DLB

No sales tax if you mail the violin out of state...hm...pay extra for the overnight plus insurance?  Bridge down or up?  Maybe it would be cheaper to buy a FedEx truck and drive it yourself...

1 hour ago, mmmm said:

No sales tax if you mail the violin out of state...hm...pay extra for the overnight plus insurance?  Bridge down or up?  Maybe it would be cheaper to buy a FedEx truck and drive it yourself...

They told me if I bought anything from Texas I would have to pay sales tax now.

DLB

It may not be every state.