Maestronet Forums

Violin bow ID and wood ID. Vuillaume workshop?

noidea22

As some of you know, I'm trying to train myself identifying instruments and bows, etc.

I wonder what wood this bow is, is this pernambuco? Or brazilwood or something else?

Also is this a Vuillaume workshop bow or a german bow? I wonder what "XVII" means, it is engraved in the wood and the frog as you can see in the images. Is this for matching purposes of stick and frog? Anyone any idea what the deal with this bow is? If it is a german bow, I've read that old german "vuillaume bows" can be worth a couple thousands of dollars, is that true?

@Blank face added a couple more pictures

vuillaume 1.jpg

vuillaume 2.jpg

vuillaume 3.jpg

vuillaume 4.jpg

vuillaume 5.jpg

vuillaume 6.jpg

vuillaume 7.jpg

Edited by noidea22

2 hours ago, noidea22 said:

I've read that old german "vuillaume bows" can be worth a couple thousands of dollars, is that true?

Maybe something like Otto Hoyer“Pariser“, but your bow is far away from that. It appears to be Abeille wood, but there isn’t much more to tell without seeing the whole of it, frog, adjuster and so on. As an hypothesis assume that it’s rather worthless.

These Roman numbers you can find both at frog and stick identically are assembly Numbers helping to get the matching parts together in shops.

6 hours ago, noidea22 said:

added a couple more pictures

Thanks. Yes, it's a 19th century Markneukirchen trade bow with a Vuillaume slide, but not a copy of a Vuillaume bow. Unfortunately the thumb projection of the frog was mutilated. The mortice for the eyelet looks damaged, too, the headplate missing, so all in all it would probably not be worth the costs of a restoration for many.

Just now, Brad Dorsey said:

"Vuillaume slide" refers to the mounting of the frog on the stick.  The most common mounting is shaped in three flat facets; the Vuillaume style is shaped in one cylindrical surface.

Thanks for the explanation!