Maestronet Forums

Chinese Violin (?) with heavy antiquing

Guido

I picked up this violin from the local classifieds a few years back.

On the one or two blurry photos it looked like something I would want to inspect rather quickly...

It turned out to be a new instrument (probably 5-10 years old by now), but due to the low price and the interesting antiquing I bought it anyways.

The wood inside it totally white and the varnish has a strong and unpleasant smell that has not worn off in the few years I have had it.

Anyhow, I'm sure it's Chinese, but I never saw anything in this style despite the plethora of Chinese violins online.

Can anyone say anything more about it?

IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

36 minutes ago, Guido said:

No.

Did you change the strings, and if so what is it strung up with? I may be wrong. Looks like the same color code aside from the off green. Looking at it again I see the peg ends are not the classic dominant colors either. Look at the back of the scroll, how they scribed a line down the center which they didn't care to remove. These are quickly though skillfully made instruments. Nothing wrong with a Chinese violin. 

47 minutes ago, JRyan said:

Did you change the strings, and if so what is it strung up with? I may be wrong. Looks like the same color code aside from the off green. Looking at it again I see the peg ends are not the classic dominant colors either. Look at the back of the scroll, how they scribed a line down the center which they didn't care to remove. These are quickly though skillfully made instruments. Nothing wrong with a Chinese violin. 

Sorry for the previous short answer. Not the original strings. Was testing the cheap Chinese synthetic core strings at the time. Initially quite good but deteriorated fast and started to sound choked. Got proper strings on by now.

Yes, I’d be sure the instrument is Chinese and I think @uguntde nailed it.

3 hours ago, JRyan said:

...scribed a line down the center [of the pegbox] which they didn't care to remove...

I took that to be deliberate feature of imitating a classic violin. I would not necessarily expect the scribe line to be part of the ordinary Chinese production process, but maybe I'm wrong ;-)

3 hours ago, Guido said:

I took that to be deliberate feature of imitating a classic violin. I would not necessarily expect the scribe line to be part of the ordinary Chinese production process, but maybe I'm wrong ;-)

The fact they did not take the time to remove it is what I meant. It was very hastily and accurately made in large numbers in a different way than what you would see in a German violin.