Maestronet Forums

If it Quacks Like a Duck...

Jeny Mahon

Just looking for some thoughts on this eBay fiddle out of sheer curiosity and education! 

I'm pretty sure the duck scroll (which is cute!) is not original, and the poor broken off button was glued to it when it was *ahem* "repaired".  

My questions are:

Is it the usual?  I don't think it's a Markie. 

Is that a one-piece top?  

I can't decide if the varnish was messed with or if it's been completely revarnished.  

Here's the link to the listing.   It's listed by John Ryan who has a shop in VA, and also happens to take very good photos of fiddles!

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.36b7b6a8e2cc90b79635e381cb2a87b1.jpg2032248182_s-l1600(6).thumb.jpg.534b57293e9f1a70be496da0d66b3c93.jpg1498600102_s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.a2eae1703fa69cf75acfc43ecc8827b8.jpg1328113297_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.5e1bf5fa8f8a398cc3dd58e71c92329b.jpg914112828_s-l1600(3).thumb.jpg.f9e85b277793d071f1f02a4b6d8c24ba.jpg1088127770_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.273327d567c9c00c0ca96f5e847bc6ce.jpg960307150_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.6dbe0c10ee3cc5216811986e05227d7f.jpg

Ahem. The violin was made in Mittenwald and the duckhead is original. The varnish was once the color of the duck's head. That dark, opaque layer of varnish someone had removed. It is quite an oddity! I appreciate the publicity, but maybe next time just send me a message. :rolleyes:

Apart form the button, which was probably ripped out when the duck tried to escape at some point, I'd be more interested in the status of the sound post crack, which in best ebay practice, finds no mention, no matter the seller being a professional (outside of ebay).

14 minutes ago, Shelbow said:

What about Ey up Cock.

That would definitely confuse some people.

Hmm.  Is that what they said when they went out to the chicken pen to see who was to be the next candidate for the dinner pot?

Run roosters! Run!

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Hmm.  Is that what they said when they went out to the chicken pen to see who was to be the next candidate for the dinner pot?

Run roosters! Run!

If only :-) 

It just means hello dear or something like that. An informal greeting from up North.

13 hours ago, JRyan said:

Ahem. The violin was made in Mittenwald and the duckhead is original. The varnish was once the color of the duck's head. That dark, opaque layer of varnish someone had removed. It is quite an oddity! I appreciate the publicity, but maybe next time just send me a message. :rolleyes:

Why haven't you gone ahead, repaired and set it up?

17 hours ago, JRyan said:

Oh man... that's right, I had one of those like 20 years ago and sold it about a month after I got it!  I think it was labeled "Gerbruder Schuster".  Not with a duck head but the same sort of outline and the same wood on the back.  Thanks, next time I'll DM you here :)