Maestronet Forums

"Bergonzi" violin

reg

Could anyone give me a steer on this Violin please!

Seems to have conflicting features - blackened pegbox, but with the scroll going back deeply into the throat etc

IMG_6760.jpg

IMG_6761.jpg

IMG_6762.jpg

IMG_6763.jpg

IMG_6764.jpg

IMG_6765.jpg

IMG_6766.jpg

IMG_6767.jpg

28 minutes ago, reg said:

'swat i thought and I've seen a great many 'usuals':)

Not that I dare doubt Jacob!

VLDM?

Don't worry, I still do the same. There are different flavours of the usual and I don't think I've tasted them all yet.

Hi Reg, what made you use "Bergonzi" in the title? does it have a label with that name on it? Its obviously not a Bergonzi as it appears to be BOB construction. Does it have a pin in the top near the saddle or is it just a mark? It may be the photos, but the varnish appears to have been manipulated in some way, or maybe it was antiqued that way from new.

4 hours ago, Shelbow said:

Don't worry, I still do the same. There are different flavours of the usual and I don't think I've tasted them all yet.

'Strewth.  "Usual"s, when studied closely, separate into a kaleidoscopic mix of subtypes.  Always something new out of Vogtland.  ^_^

4 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

Doesn't "the usual" usually have a Devil's Triangle at the bottom of the central ridge of the pegbox back?

Like!!!!!  Congrats, I feel that you just superseded the term "delta" for this feature.  :lol:

21 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

'Strewth.  "Usual"s, when studied closely, separate into a kaleidoscopic mix of subtypes.  Always something new out of Vogtland.  ^_^

Like!!!!!  Congrats, I feel that you just superseded the term "delta" for this feature.  :lol:

I must have them all :ph34r:

18 hours ago, Delabo said:

Hi Reg, what made you use "Bergonzi" in the title?

Yes Carlo Bergonzi :D  is the label

Re your other questions I will reply later once I've had a decco on the violin again

37 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

What is a "decco" on a violin?

Deek or decco is a look. I am no expert but in Scotland I think it is one of many words which have migrated to scots  vernacular from the language used by the travelling people also known rather disrespectfully as “tinkers cant” , cant meaning speech or language.Some of the words are believed to be of Hindi origin, for example, to chore or chory something means to steal and was a commonly used cant word by kids in Edinburgh when I was  young and may be related to the Hindi word chore meaning a thief.

I might have said in Scots  “ I’ll tak a deek at the fiddle “ .

Funny how sometimes, a totally ordinary fiddle, has echoes of something else, and the front (not the rest) of this one, (maybe just for a few seconds) has echoes of Landolfi.
When I worked in a shop in the mid 1980s, we received a batch of Chinese instruments which used to retail at around £150, bow and case included ( and rosin..), which were, unwittingly I am sure, so reminiscent of some Joseph Gagliano!

51 minutes ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

Funny how sometimes, a totally ordinary fiddle, has echoes of something else, and the front (not the rest) of this one, (maybe just for a few seconds) has echoes of Landolfi.
When I worked in a shop in the mid 1980s, we received a batch of Chinese instruments which used to retail at around £150, bow and case included ( and rosin..), which were, unwittingly I am sure, so reminiscent of some Joseph Gagliano!

Kind of practical should one write dendrochronologishe certificates :D

2 hours ago, reg said:

Delabo

Had my dekko :)

The table does have a pin - don't think it is a fake The varnish is genuine I believe

20220309_105022.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture. A pin in the front table is often another indicator along with all the other clues that the violin was built on the back.