Maestronet Forums

What's this please?

phillip77

3 hours ago, phillip77 said:

Don't say "a violin!"

Why not a violin? To me, it looks like an old Schoenbach, circa 1800. Maybe Joseph Fuchs or Franz Placht. But that's just speculation. I'm sure one of the experts will come back and tell us more.

9 hours ago, phillip77 said:

Don't say "a violin!"

Thanks. 

IMG_20220306_135458.jpg

IMG_20220306_135519.jpg

IMG_20220306_135539.jpg

IMG_20220306_135558.jpg

IMG_20220306_135614.jpg

IMG_20220306_135631.jpg

IMG_20220306_135640.jpg

IMG_20220306_135657.jpg

IMG_20220306_135704.jpg

Oh I'm sorry, we call them "Fiddles" here  :lol: 

The scroll looks like it got exhausted and had to lean on the wall for a minute!

On 3/7/2022 at 12:12 AM, Jeny Mahon said:

The scroll looks like it got exhausted and had to lean on the wall for a minute!

No ideas then?

With regards to the wonky scroll, I took the pictures with the fiddle balanced upright on the bed leaning against the wall. 

It's not actually bent if that's what people are referring to, just the way it looks in the photograph.

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

are the cracks "real"?

Good question. Indeed the "crack" in the lower treble bout seems to exist only inside the purfling, therefore it's possibly painted/scribed on only.

So the impression of age or revarnishing might be an effect of the light and bad exposure only and it's of the "antique copy" kind.

7 hours ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

Doesn't look re-varnished to me... btw, are the cracks "real"?

Sorry not replied earlier, been at work. 

Yes the cracks are definitely real cracks. 

There is a seam open too, near the button. You can see it in the picture to the right of the button. 

Regarding "fishy varnish" that some people have mentioned. It isn't that "shiny" in real life. The photos made it look darker and "richer" than it actually is. 

I have another violin, English, from early 1800s. Side by side they're a very similar colour and patina.

2 hours ago, phillip77 said:

Yes the cracks are definitely real cracks. 

Maybe some, but with the one I enlarged a bit (below) I would have doubts. As I mentioned, it looks so even in thickness and at the same time so unrelated to the grain that I would assume usually that it was scribed; and a nice "screw driver" mark right across it.

OlEnglis like some Duke school and old Saxon can look sometimes similar, as well as copies they made, but the scroll shape points rather clearly to Saxony/Bohemia.

mn.jpg

1 hour ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

I personally see nothing whatsoever English about this violin

?? 

When did I say it was English? I was replying to the other person saying the varnish looked suspicious. I'm just saying it looks the same as my English violin with regards to varnish, colour and patina. 

Honestly, I asked a simple question and I think only one person has actually answered it. The rest are just arguing amongst themselves. 

8 hours ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

8 hours ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

I don't remember saying that you did, although you seem to imply a connection, and was just stating my opinion, I hope that's ok with you.

(Redacted by MOD team)