Maestronet Forums

button patch

5 hours ago, jezzupe said:

So seeing how I've been rudely spoken to for no apparent reason, and now Jeffery is saying things like "I don't think he's trying to hide anything" 

To be clear Jezzepe, what I wrote was  "I didn't get the impression he was trying to "hide" the event." Posting the story on a public forum, in detail, would tend to be counterproductive if he were... and I went on to speak to the ethics of disclosure to the owner and the tendency to do something stupid during a freak-out by someone inexperienced. No matter what plans the OP had, or didn't have, I would hope this sunk in. I personally didn't feel further judgement was required. In other words, if he was planning to try and hide the event from the owner, I would hope that is no longer the case.

Yes, I am concerned that the level of OP's experience has the potential to make things worse rather than better (I think he may have to seek out help from someone more experienced at the least). Yes, gluing back the neck without addressing the broken button was bad judgement (a deep breath and a night's sleep would have probably been advisable). Yes, there are other details of the story that concern me... but I'd rather try and offer constructive information and perspective at this point than give in to suspicion.

I agree. The OPs post here made the situation everyone's business. Rudall's statement is therefor in error. Let's move on though, OK?

4 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

To be clear Jezzepe, what I wrote was  "I didn't get the impression he was trying to "hide" the event." Posting the story on a public forum, in detail, would tend to be counterproductive if he were... and I went on to speak to the ethics of disclosure to the owner and the tendency to do something stupid during a freak-out by someone inexperienced. No matter what plans the OP had, or didn't have, I would hope this sunk in. I personally didn't feel further judgement was required. In other words, if he was planning to try and hide the event from the owner, I would hope that is no longer the case.

Yes, I am concerned that the level of OP's experience has the potential to make things worse rather than better (I think he may have to seek out help from someone more experienced at the least). Yes, gluing back the neck without addressing the broken button was bad judgement (a deep breath and a night's sleep would have probably been advisable). Yes, there are other details of the story that concern me... but I'd rather try and offer constructive information and perspective at this point than give in to suspicion.

I agree. The OPs post here made the situation everyone's business. Rudall's statement is therefor in error. Let's move on though, OK?

Yes, of course, by all means

So the OP made the mistake of gluing the neck on with strong hide glue. How wold you go about reversing the process? I know that guitar necks are released using steam, but that would damage the varnish of a violin. So whats the procedure for a violin neck?

43 minutes ago, Delabo said:

So the OP made the mistake of gluing the neck on with strong hide glue. How wold you go about reversing the process? I know that guitar necks are released using steam, but that would damage the varnish of a violin. So whats the procedure for a violin neck?

If the re-gluing job doesn't look like crap, and is in the ball park dimensionally, I'd leave it alone until it comes apart on its own (which might be never), and then worry about doing it "right".

At this point, taking it apart might easily be more destructive than leaving it alone.

2 hours ago, Delabo said:

drop it off the bench again:)

10 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

The OPs post here made the situation everyone's business. Rudall's statement is therefor in error. Let's move on though, OK?

Jezuppe was basically calling into question the OP’s honesty with no foundation whatsoever in his assertion. That is what I was objecting to, and was in no way an ‘error’  

8 minutes ago, rudall said:

Jezuppe was basically calling into question the OP’s honesty with no foundation whatsoever in his assertion. That is what I was objecting to, and was in no way an ‘error’  

Rather not argue semantics.  Let's just let this go.

21 hours ago, David Burgess said:

If the re-gluing job doesn't look like crap, and is in the ball park dimensionally, I'd leave it alone until it comes apart on its own (which might be never), and then worry about doing it "right".

At this point, taking it apart might easily be more destructive than leaving it alone.

Interesting reply, and not what I expected, thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Thank you for all of the constructive advice from all of the helpful people on the forum. As to the criticism, of course I have spoken to the client and no I am not trying to hide the repair. As a rule of thumb I just try to make any repairs that I do as unobtrusive as possible. As it it not a repair I have done before I would not just try it out on the instrument in question and hope for the best. I have plenty of other instruments to practice on. I will of course search far and wide for the correct timber to match the grain and do the best job that I am capable of.

I actually do have somebody to apprentice me but unfortunately we have been separated by distance, flood and pandemic. Most of my learning has been merely verbal advice thus far but I am trying to get down for a personal visit for lessons in bow rehairing. I believe that I mentioned in my profile that I am just starting out and am learning from each job that comes along. As I have had no formal education in this trade my education has been haphazard.

I understand that this is a very protected trade and truly appreciate the expected standards which I hope to live up to so I bare no Ill will to those who have put me firmly in my place. It is a journey that I am enjoying immensely and hope that one stroke of misfortune will not have me judged so harshly that I will lose heart in what I have come to love.

Regards

Brian Dillon