Maestronet Forums

Bow ID

Jeff White

This came in for a some work and I'm not sure what it is.  Stamped E. Martin, I know there was a german family importing commercial violins under this name (I have one).  Maybe this was a "bow line" that they were using??  It has some differing things on it, like the mortice being pretty far forward, the slide and upper silver lining all in one (though, I have seen this before). Slide screws have the slot cut "not in the middle".  Hard to believe German maker would do that.  I"m thinking cheap french??  Looks like an older bow.  No pins in the button, silbver collars are round on the inside diameter. 

IMG_E6428.JPG

IMG_E6429.JPG

IMG_E6430.JPG

IMG_E6431.JPG

IMG_E6432.JPG

IMG_E6433.JPG

IMG_E6434.JPG

This looks to me like a Knopf/Bausch school bow from around 1900 with a dealer's brand. The nickel liner wrapped around the pearl slide is quite common, also that it goes all the way to the rear (usually at trade bows), the small heel plate pinned on the slide is more unusual. Maybe this was done later, such slides are usually only pearl, and the area around the pin there looks somehow battered.

The head looks very neatly done, but in the actual repaired state it appears pointless to speculate who might have made it.

Klaus Grunke told me that this method of small heelplate and pearl slide all encased in metal on German/ Markneukirchen  bows is from the mid 20th century but didnt point to any particular makers..

The frog mortice look in about the right place compared to this photo but has been enlarged and messed with.

img040.jpg

5 hours ago, Blank face said:

This looks to me like a Knopf/Bausch school bow from around 1900 with a dealer's brand. The nickel liner wrapped around the pearl slide is quite common, also that it goes all the way to the rear (usually at trade bows), the small heel plate pinned on the slide is more unusual. Maybe this was done later, such slides are usually only pearl, and the area around the pin there looks somehow battered.

The head looks very neatly done, but in the actual repaired state it appears pointless to speculate who might have made it.

Your right BF( and Dwight, Nate....)about the head.  This thread is about my learning.  It's been splined, and unfortunately, quite deeply and into the throat.  I just figured I could learn something about the slide combo and the forward mortice, thin and short ferrule, spacing width of the parts on the button, etc. BTW, it's sterling. Thanks FC.     

4 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

Klaus Grunke told me that this method of small heelplate and pearl slide all encased in metal on German/ Markneukirchen  bows is from the mid 20th century but didnt point to any particular makers..

The frog mortice look in about the right place compared to this photo but has been enlarged and messed with.

img040.jpg

That's interesting. The OP bow looks older, especially with the short and rectangular ferrule, so this confirms that the small heel was most probably added later. At your's the small silver plate has a much better fit, too.

2 hours ago, Jeff White said:

Your right BF( and Dwight, Nate....)about the head.  This thread is about my learning.  It's been splined, and unfortunately, quite deeply and into the throat.  I just figured I could learn something about the slide combo and the forward mortice, thin and short ferrule, spacing width of the parts on the button, etc. BTW, it's sterling. Thanks FC.     

So the liner of the pearl slide is real silver, too? From the photo it's not clearly to decide, but often it is nickel even if the rest is silver mounted, probably because nickel is more resistant to wear and corrosion.

2 hours ago, Blank face said:

So the liner of the pearl slide is real silver, too? From the photo it's not clearly to decide, but often it is nickel even if the rest is silver mounted, probably because nickel is more resistant to wear and corrosion.

It's silver, no doubt.

4 hours ago, Blank face said:

That's interesting. The OP bow looks older, especially with the short and rectangular ferrule, so this confirms that the small heel was most probably added later. At your's the small silver plate has a much better fit, too.

I dont know if its just the photos but i think he has the ferrule on back to front / wrong way around.

1 hour ago, Jeff White said:

It's silver, no doubt.

I thought I was seeing greenish corrosion both on the OP and the Fiddlecollector's pics. especially at the edges of the bottom piece of the slide. The upper piece looks like silver.

17 minutes ago, HoGo said:

I thought I was seeing greenish corrosion both on the OP and the Fiddlecollector's pics. especially at the edges of the bottom piece of the slide. The upper piece looks like silver.

The oneon mine was nickel though the bow was silver mounted. It was common to use nickel for the pearl  slide backing as its stiffer and also not really visible apart from the two thin edges ,where the green colouring of copper oxide is.

1 hour ago, fiddlecollector said:

I dont know if its just the photos but i think he has the ferrule on back to front / wrong way around.

It's hard to tell, not the usual bevels and indications.  Only goes on one way at the moment, kind of a slight taper think going on.  Frankly, it doesn't fit either way

2 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

Maybe it looks this way in the 2nd photo because the soldering is damaged. In the first photo both edges look quite straight/squarish.