A Gift - 3D printed lining clamps

Nikos Matsablokos

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Dean Markel said:

Thanks, Nikos!

I had a friend a school with tint one of these out for me and it turned out great. The threads were much cleaner and stronger than I expected. 

You are welcome Dean! Yes I wouldn't really worry about the threads. If you were to reach their strength limit, you'd probably have applied way too much pressure anyway and would have definitely marked both the ribs and the linings pretty significantly.

However if you or anyone who prints them find a problem with the threads, please let me know and I will change them and make them a bit thicker and less in number.

48 minutes ago, martina hawe said:

Hallo Nikos,

very nice clamps!

There is something similar used for medical purposes. Their flat cheeks can be shaped with a chisel create some round ones for the c-bouts, it´s a bit laborious but ok. (I woulnd´t want to make a set for Cello)

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-19 um 11.42.48.png

Yes I am aware of those, I've also seen some similiar ones for aquariums I believe. I'd honestly be impressed if they are any strong. This hollow region on the back of the body is probably a weak point and considering they are made out of plastic (?) wouldn't they bend too much when clamping the linings? Are they actually made of plastic or is it some other material?

Nikos, this is the sort of thing I was thinking of:

(Note, the spring could be closer to the clamping surfaces to exert more pressure. Springs can be bent with pliers to apply more pressure. Might be easier to make by modifying existing clothes pins than to 3D print and assemble)

Scan.jpg

24 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Nikos, this is the sort of thing I was thinking of:

(Note, the spring could be closer to the clamping surfaces to exert more pressure. Springs can be bent with pliers to apply more pressure. Might be easier to make by modifying existing clothes pins than to 3D print and assemble)

Scan.jpg

I like it, I'll get into designing it right now, I'll upload a render here (3d picture of how it will look) before I print it. That's a great idea actually. Thanks!

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

Neat! Looks like it would snap together, with no need for drilling or pinning.

I don't think you'd need a slot for the forward part of the spring. That might make the beam a little stronger, and also give more spring tension.

Yes it doesn't require drilling. As you've explained it snaps together, that's why the moving jaw has an opening on top. I've already made the body thicker than a usual clothespin so it will be stronger anyway, even with the recess for the spring. But I will give it a try without the recess :) I am actually printing in right now. I expecting I might have to move the pivot point of the jaw further towards the end of the clamp. Because if you want to clamp beveled linings, the pivot point should be towards the thinnest part of the lining so that the jaw, closes properly. 

I'll give it a test though. Soon I will post the follow up of the 3d printing results...

Love the 3D printing idea. I'll give that a try if he makes the .stl file available.

I have used these for attaching Ukulele linings. Each one may not be as strong but they are so cheap you can use lots and lots of them. They have a nice wide mouth. I stole them from my wife's sewing studio. Sewers use them instead of pins for some things.

th?id=OIP.pJU2wII6nxNlN1psoyzpyQHaHa%26p20210913_111711.thumb.jpg.b92bf62c47b75b28b9713961aab9c5ee.jpg

13 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Love the 3D printing idea. I'll give that a try if he makes the .stl file available.

I have used these for attaching Ukulele linings. Each one may not be as strong but they are so cheap you can use lots and lots of them. They have a nice wide mouth. I stole them from my wife's sewing studio. Sewers use them instead of pins for some things.

th?id=OIP.pJU2wII6nxNlN1psoyzpyQHaHa%26p20210913_111711.thumb.jpg.b92bf62c47b75b28b9713961aab9c5ee.jpg

I have made the stl available, hence I called the post "A Gift" its on the first page, first post underneath the photos.

Just now, Nikos Matsablokos said:

I have made the stl available, hence I called the post "A Gift" its on the first page, first post underneath the photos.

That one is already in the queue behind some student jobs running this weekend.

Thank you so much for the "Gift". Can't wait to try it.

The other design is also interesting. I'd give that a try as well.

Just now, Gary M said:

That one is already in the queue behind some student jobs running this weekend.

Thank you so much for the "Gift". Can't wait to try it.

The other design is also interesting. I'd give that a try as well.

Yes of course, it is just not ready yet. I did print it and the tolerances where too tight (for a 3d printer to handle). It worked though, I just need to make the jaw shorter. I will upload this stl as well as soon as I am done probably by Monday, maybe sooner. Hope you find them useful :)

51 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Is there anything you do like, anything at all?

26 minutes ago, Peter K-G said:

Oops! This I have to take a moment to think about, I'll get back to you, thanks.

Wood Bucher,

Thank you for responding. I had to take a moment to give some thought about your post.

I'm not sure if your post was particulary  ment to this thread, but I'll answer as such. 3D printing is a way to quickly put drawings and ideas to practical objects.

Its potential is because it is digitized.  It enables that the data about the print can be put into prototypes instantly, for ex. over the Internet.

It is not for serial production, there are far more efficient ways for that.

I own an accounting agency having seen several businesses gone bankruptcy having failed to understand this.

10 minutes ago, Peter K-G said:

Wood Bucher,

Thank you for responding. I had to take a moment to give some thought about your post.

I'm not sure if your post was particulary  ment to this thread, but I'll answer as such. 3D printing is a way to quickly put drawings and ideas to practical objects.

Its potential is because it is digitized.  It enables that the data about the print can be put into prototypes instantly, for ex. over the Internet.

It is not for serial production, there are far more efficient ways for that.

I own an accounting agency having seen several businesses gone bankruptcy having failed to understand this.

You seem to have too much free time, why don't you open a new thread discussing your opinions about 3d printing and all the economical disasters it may cause. This is not the thread for that. I created this thread to help anyone who might have a 3d printer to help him make something useful for what we do. What you are writing not only isn't helpful but has nothing to do with the thread as well. Start another thread for that, this is not the one.

@David Burgess I managed to 3d print it. Changed it a bit because it didn't work that great the first time. Still there are minor modifications i'll have to make. But it works great. Not only can it clamp parallel and apply even pressure over the whole lining it can even clamp pre beveled linings. I also made it so one can print only the moving jaw part and use a normal chopped off clothespin for the other. Thanks for the idea :D Here's how it turned out. 

Edit. Also radiused the jaw, so the corners don't dig in

original_758b2daf-ddee-4752-861e-fdb0a12409b8_IMG_20220220_032445.jpg

IMG_20220220_032042.jpg

IMG_20220220_032051.jpg

15 minutes ago, Nikos Matsablokos said:

@David Burgess I managed to 3d print it. Changed it a bit because it didn't work that great the first time. Still there are minor modifications i'll have to make. But it works great. Not only can it clamp parallel and apply even pressure over the whole lining it can even clamp pre beveled linings. I also made it so one can print only the moving jaw part and use a normal chopped off clothespin for the other. Thanks for the idea :D Here's how it turned out. 

Edit. Also radiused the jaw, so the corners don't dig in

original_758b2daf-ddee-4752-861e-fdb0a12409b8_IMG_20220220_032445.jpg

IMG_20220220_032042.jpg

IMG_20220220_032051.jpg

Now that's cool! Thanks for taking the time to do it! I don't have a printer, but I'd definitely buy a set of these. 

6 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Now that's cool! Thanks for taking the time to do it! I don't have a printer, but I'd definitely buy a set of these. 

I will upload the STL tomorrow (3d printing file) after I make some small improvements. You'll most definitely have some 3d printing service shop near you. There are pretty much in every city lots of them.

You can send them the STL file and they will print it for you and charge you the service of course.

I don't think it will be too expensive and they'll probably do a great job printing them since they tend to have very high quality machines. Much better than the home user me and many others use :lol:

10 minutes ago, Nikos Matsablokos said:

I will upload the STL tomorrow (3d printing file) after I make some small improvements. You'll most definitely have some 3d printing service shop near you. There are pretty much in every city lots of them.

You can send them the STL file and they will print it for you and charge you the service of course.

I don't think it will be too expensive and they'll probably do a great job printing them since they tend to have very high quality machines. Much better than the home user me and many others use :lol:

I appreciate your time and advice!