Maestronet Forums

T2 Auction, Holy smokes!

On 2/12/2022 at 6:16 AM, Shelbow said:

It would be great if a maker could comment on this lot. Is this an exceptionally rare or fine piece of wood for a cello? I mean it looks pretty nice. Or is there something deeper going on. Is this wood that came from another workshop before Rogers and is like 200 years old or something etc etc.....

Most Wood we seen on this sale both Maple and Spruce were bought in the 1980´s from
former Wooddealer "Fuchs" in Mittenwald. The time where was enough Bosnian species still on the market.
Today...hard to get. But 10k for a back or 2k for 4 Rips? No way.

But some Wood wich has the outline drawing with a thick black edding-pen looks strong carpatian Mountains to me.

27 minutes ago, Michael K. said:

Most Wood we seen on this sale both Maple and Spruce were bought in the 1980´s from
former Wooddealer "Fuchs" in Mittenwald. The time where was enough Bosnian species still on the market.
Today...hard to get. But 10k for a back or 2k for 4 Rips? No way.

But some Wood wich has the outline drawing with a thick black edding-pen looks strong carpatian Mountains to me.

Thanks so much for the insight, this is very useful information.

Speaking of Tarisio... if they think an instrument is beyond reasonable doubt real they issue a pro-forma certificate. That doesn't mean they don't overlook some/many lots. I personally had purchased an instrument from them that they totally dropped the ball on and didn't do their homework on... not wanting the responsibility of attribution is new a trend I am noticing with them lately.