Maestronet Forums

Davidoff Stradivarius Theft Documentary

l33tplaya

So...Where is the Davidoff strad? Japan? Russia, with an oligarch? 

New documentary: https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/02/11/abc-7-documentary-strings-together-classic-whodunit-stolen-violin/

https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/property/?ID=40119

Edited by l33tplaya
pasted incorrecet link in clipboard

Makes me wonder if it happened in recent times that a stolen instrument made by Antonio Stradivari DID sell AND someone was willing to pay a hefty price for it. The cases I remember, either the thief was caught or the case was settled at court or the instrument miraculously resurfaced.

Sometimes there are psychotics who simply want to have something precious in their possession without thinking to get profit from it.

Can any one tell me how to access this? I am seriously computer challenged but since I have discussed the theft of the Davidoff with some one who saw it days before it was stolen and has helped the FBI with their investigation I would love to see the video. Kind of hard to understand how Paul Becker would know much about any specifics given his distance from the place where it was stolen.

Also will note that the Tarisio article referenced which mentions a theft of a Strad from a Rolls Royce in Manhattan sounds an awful lot like a story I heard from an insurance adjuster in NYC who told me he handled a claim on two fakes purported to be a Strad and a Guarneri which had been smuggled into the country from Japan, offered for sale to Jacques Francais who declared them later Italians of lesser value and then stolen in the Manhattan's diamond district when the guy trying to sell them got into his car after coming out of some diamond dealers office. The thieves thought the case contained diamonds, were disappointed to find the violins but were smart enough (?!) to answer an ad offering a reward for their return. Ultimately J. Francais met them in central park confirmed that they were the violins he had seen before and the FBI swooped in to arrest the thieves. The thieves went to jail and the smuggler was deported from the country with the instruments being returned to their owner in Japan with the admonition not to try to sell them as other than what they really were. Not sure if the Tarisio article refers to that incident but it sounds remarkably similar including the Rolls Royce.

In any case stolen Strads can be speculated on to make for entertaining TV but I suspect this "documentary" will not shed much real information om the subject.

The most interesting stolen story I know is of a cello that showed up one day at Bein and Fushi passing as a c 1920 named Italian from a dealer in Japan. After the story was straightened out, it turned out that the cello had come to Japan from Italy, from NYC, from Chicago several floors below B&F. When it came in, Bob Bein immediately recognized it as a cello from one of the WH Lee makers, calling up Bill Lee who recognized it as a cello that had been stolen from him a couple of years previous.

People don't realize how small the fiddle business is. :-)

11 minutes ago, Michael Darnton said:

The most interesting stolen story I know is of a cello that showed up one day at Bein and Fushi passing as a c 1920 named Italian from a dealer in Japan. After the story was straightened out, it turned out that the cello had come to Japan from Italy, from NYC, from Chicago several floors below B&F. When it came in, Bob Bein immediately recognized it as a cello from one of the WH Lee makers, calling up Bill Lee who recognized it as a cello that had been stolen from him a couple of years previous.

People don't realize how small the fiddle business is. :-)

I remember that! Small world isn't it.:lol:

I just watched it last night.  Hopefully it's under somebody's bed covered in shoe polish like this one was!  Good news, shoe polish can be removed :) 

It's interesting that the polygraph test showed that the family friend didn't steal it but may know who did.  If that's the case I doubt it was destroyed.  I get the feeling it was somebody close to the family who knew time was short due to the owner's imminent death, and just wanted to grab it to have for themselves, and/or to "keep it safe".  I imagine it will eventually be discovered when the person who stole it dies.