Maestronet Forums

1921 Roth without stamp

Dani Tsui

53 minutes ago, Spelman said:

Why are there two different tailpieces and chinrests and two and a half sets strings on this fiddle? Did they photograph it over a period of years for the auction?

Also, has the back seam failed?

Sorry, I don’t know that.

It is like a local Craiglist, so these are the only pics available

I have a 1923 Roth with the block letter label and without a brand.  According to Wilhelm Roth, 

"This instrument was made by the Ernst Heinrich Roth I in his workshop in Markneukirchen, year 1923

At that time there were no serial numbers and brand stamp,

because my grand-grand- father starts with the numbers and brand stamp in the middle of the year 04.06.1924

On 2/11/2022 at 9:31 PM, Cornell Violins said:

I have a 1923 Roth with the block letter label and without a brand.  According to Wilhelm Roth, 

"This instrument was made by the Ernst Heinrich Roth I in his workshop in Markneukirchen, year 1923

At that time there were no serial numbers and brand stamp,

because my grand-grand- father starts with the numbers and brand stamp in the middle of the year 04.06.1924

This information is absolute helpful and I do have a large collection of Roth violins from 1920s, the earliest with a branded stamp only was dated to 1922 on the label.  This one in the auction I believe is a cheaper one judging from the varnish.