Maestronet Forums

Johann Gottlob Heberlein 1845 with ivory edges

jacobsaunders

I thought I would widen the scope of this thread, and point out that the ivory decoration used by the major 19th & 19th C. Saxon makers is by no means restricted to ivory edged instruments. As an example I post here, some pictures of a Johann Gottfried Hamm viola with an ivory plaque on the back of the peg box, engraved with what I always call an owl, but I am sure Maestroneters with an ornithological background will correct me (please!). Saying that this owl viola is primarily suited to wise viola players might frighten many off, since it has been suggested that wise viola players might be few and far between

Hamm Owl big.jpg

Hamm owl plakette.jpg

I have always found it difficult (resp. impossible) to distinguish between the individual Saxon makers of this period although Hamm does represent an exception, since I find his work recognisable, particularly from the side profile of the scrolls. Hamm died in Markneukirchen on the 6th of October 1817, aged 73 years, 7 months and 11 days, which would suggest that he was born at the end of February 1744, although no record of that has been found. The viola has the stamp “IGH” on the inside back, but no label, so that the year it was built is unknown. Hamm seemed to have had two styles of varnish, the yellow one (here) and also a very dark red (some colour blind people would say black) colour, although the woodwork seems very similar.

Hamm owl viola back.jpg

Hamm owl viola belly.jpg

Hamm owl viola ribs.jpg

Hamm owl viola scroll profiloe bass.jpg

Hamm owl viola scroll profile diskant.jpg

Hamm owl viola stamp.jpg

On 2/27/2022 at 7:16 PM, Rue said:

Definitely an owl. Possibly the Eurasian Eagle Owl.

Maybe you know that it's called "Uhu" in German? A bit similar like little kids are calling a dog "Wauwau".:)

On 2/27/2022 at 6:57 PM, jacobsaunders said:

Hamm seemed to have had two styles of varnish, the yellow one (here) and also a very dark red (some colour blind people would say black) colour, although the woodwork seems very similar.

Dark red-brown on yellowish ground and sometimes a different brand, too. There's also ivory at nut and saddle. Mind the one piece lower rib.

IMG_7674.JPG

IMG_7678.JPG

IMG_7684.JPG

IMG_7505.JPG

IMG_s2520.JPG

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, FarkasErno said:

Hello I also have an ivory edged violin. maybe it's the same maker?(J.H.)

label:Antonius Stradiuarius 1727

0DE4EF9A-5CC6-4469-9CF4-BCB7B8897B7C.jpeg

CEF3A58E-5F18-4543-BB97-47E0DC1E4A01.jpeg

3677C943-8F09-4B6C-AEC8-5C94E8B7F951.jpeg

4267B41B-9B71-4ABD-9319-E3CBE1DC26DD.jpeg

Thank you for posting your interesting violin. One cannot dogmatically say that yours will be a Heberlein from roughly 1845, since there were several makers there who did such ivory edges. The lions head seems strange, and rather out of character with the body, particularly having blackened bevels rather than ivory ones. I have never seen one with ivory fingerboard and pegs and wonder if the f/board, pegs and lion could be a later addition. Did you look inside to see if there were a pencil inscription?

20 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Thank you for posting your interesting violin. One cannot dogmatically say that yours will be a Heberlein from roughly 1845, since there were several makers there who did such ivory edges. The lions head seems strange, and rather out of character with the body, particularly having blackened bevels rather than ivory ones. I have never seen one with ivory fingerboard and pegs and wonder if the f/board, pegs and lion could be a later addition. Did you look inside to see if there were a pencil inscription?

yes, I found the inscription A+S AS in pencil

On 10/26/2022 at 4:10 PM, jacobsaunders said:

Dear Jacobsaunders, The head was also decorated with ivory, unfortunately it is no longer there.
Otherwise it was made for lacquering and sound resonance testing, which is a Strad trademark.