Maestronet Forums

Violin Joseph Paulus

Fotios

14 hours ago, Blank face said:

The writing is making the 1800 Paulus label a Fahrkarte, because some of these inscriptions had dates from the 1870s and 80s years.

I am a bit confused that the label was glued so "awkwardly" that part of F. Volkmann's entry remained visible.

Otherwise, am I to understand that Volkmann's notation also postpones the creation of the whole violin from 1800 (regardless of the label)?

8 hours ago, Fotios said:

Otherwise, am I to understand that Volkmann's notation also postpones the creation of the whole violin from 1800 (regardless of the label)?

A label with an 1800 date glued above a repair note from a more than 70 years later period appears to be spurious, that's all. The violin itself could be well from around 1800 IMO.

For which reason the label was glued in such an awkward way we can only speculate.

Maybe. In this particular violin I couldn't say.

A couple of questions come to mind:

So many of these Vogtland instruments appear with repair labels. What would be the "original state" of such an instrument, and what was incorrect about them that they needed to be corrected? I don't want to derail this thread; perhaps I'll start a seperate one.

Secondly, there seems to be a common configuration of the varnish, that the easiest analogy I find is Shelby striping. Sort of leaving a yellow stripe with the red applied to either side, on all surfaces (top, back, ribs.) It seems deliberately done so as to appear a design choice rather than an imitation of wear. Almost as if there were a cottage industry of fiddle hot rod shops. If it was by design, how was it done?

Finally, for all the headscratching, I find the OP violin very appealing. Thank you for sharing it!

I wondered many times about the correct reading of the name, too. It doesn't look like "classical" Kurrent, but there were many regional and local variations. The middle letter looks to me like a "d", but the first not like an H nor S. Difficult.

On 2/8/2022 at 12:12 AM, Blank face said:

For which reason the label was glued in such an awkward way we can only speculate.

It just occurred to me that it might have been some kind of intention - to glue the original label so that the repair inscription was (partially) visible. But this is pure speculation. A bit overcomplicated ... :unsure:

As I pointed out at the first page of the thread, the Paulus label isn‘t from the original maker, but could be in the best case a dealer label. These weren’t glued in the ribs or other discret places as a sort of hidden signature to leave room for the signature of a wholesaler or the like, otherwise they would not make any sense at all.

I would rather speculate about the usual fakers silliness, if I were to speculate at all. Or maybe somebody inserted it through the fhole and was too awkward to get it to the right place.