Maestronet Forums

Strad label

wooden

4 hours ago, wooden said:

I know it is a naive question but could it be original?

Do you mean original to the violin when it was made or was it added later?

It would be easier to tell if the picture showed more of the area around the label. There are some hints that there is a footprint from an earlier larger label. And as @jacobsaunders says, beware of darkened labels.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:09 PM, Delabo said:

Bohemian Srad copies have "Faciebad" instead of the usual "Faciebat".

I don't want to start any heated discussion here, but such misrepresentations are certainly not a specialty of Czech mass-produced Strad copies, but are quite common with Vogtland violins in general. I've never seen anything like that in Czech products (which doesn't mean it couldn't be there too).

1 hour ago, wooden said:

... but the original question was if the label could be original. 

It is not, it can be seen immediately at first glance if you know the original Stradivari labels.

The purpose of these labels is precisely this, to be obviously not original in order not to pass for a forgery that could run into legal problems.

I'm not quite sure it really reads "faciebad". I'd rather think it is "faciebat" but with a stain at this area that can be confusing but maybe I'm wrong. Please look at this view. Sorry Jacob but I was really asking if the label was authentic. I'm sure the violin although very old is not a Strad. I apologize if I was not clear enough in my post.

1 minute ago, wooden said:

I'm not quite sure it really reads "faciebad". I'd rather think it is "faciebat" but with a stain at this area that can be confusing but maybe I'm wrong. Please look at this view. Sorry Jacob but I was really asking if the label was authentic. I'm sure the violin although very old is not a Strad. I apologize if I was not clear enough in my post.

Ah, then I hadn't misunderstood:)

If you look at the "t" of Antonius it is quite different, to me it looks like faciebad. In any case, the AS stamp is really different.

A small case t is what would be found on an authentic label. In addition the D appears to be a different typeface than the rest of the letters, leading me to think that it could have been a small case t modified into a small capitals D. Nonetheless numerous other things are wrong with the label. Mixing the two typeface fonts would never have been done by a printer.

In addition, if I am reading correctly the date of 1699, Stradivari was already using a label with only the 1 as a printed number for the date. The 166 of his earlier label stopped in 1698. To make a 9 with the earlier label he had to scratch away the top part of the second six and add a tail to make it a nine.

A good text is Antonio Stradivari His Life and Work by the brothers Hill which has been available for a long time as an inexpensive paperback by Dover Editions ISBN 0-486-20425-1 . They explain it a lot more completely than I did.