Maestronet Forums

The Folly of Relying on Old Paintings for Details

Rue

Once in a while we use old paintings as "proof" of the how/why of old violins and what they were like in "back the day".

While this painting doesn’t feature a violin...it is "proof" that they made oopsies back then too. :lol:

Take everything with a grain of salt!

funny-classical-damn-paintings-modern-captions-20-61d69b0bad826__700.jpg

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Once in a while we use old paintings as "proof" of the how/why of old violins and what they were like in "back the day".

While this painting doesn’t feature a violin...it is "proof" that they made oopsies back then too. :lol:

I'm slow,  it took me a while to realize what's wrong with that picture lol  

1 hour ago, Rue said:

:lol: Nice!

47 minutes ago, Rue said:

Note: Don't use Chagill for advice on f-hole placement.

1468051460_large-image_marc-chagall-blue-violinist-1947-lg.jpg

But the birbs seem to love it, so he must have been onto something!

2 hours ago, Rue said:

Ah, while it's not evidence at all of anything about the time christ was born, or evidence that such an event ever occurred at all, yet it's still excellent evidence that crucifixes of that basic kind existed when that portion of the painting was painted.

Nowadays and back in history, only a slight minority among painters and other artists is (was) able to paint, draw or sculpture a bowed instrument that will be acceptable as a realistic image for a member of the violin making trade: Art seems to be about something completely different.

14 hours ago, Rue said:

That’s certainly not an oopsie. Pictures like that were highly allegorical and it makes complete sense to see it as an allegory on the entire life of Jesus Christ. I am sure that you’ll find on a deeper analysis more things. I’d be curious which landscape and city is pictured in the background and who are the people except the three kings. 

(is it eventually a French painting?)

—————-

Well, Chagall didn’t try to be realistic 

and for the Eakins I’d rather say  the guy plays a viola and the left hand looks weird on a closer look….

but you know what, if we go into the realism of musical instruments in paintings we could start an endless MN discussion about who is right and who is wrong.

(Uups, shouldn’t have said that. :ph34r:)

Posted (edited)

I briefly tried to find the artist...but didn't have time to keep looking. You are likely quite right! :)

However...while I was was looking I just discovered Hermann Kern. ^_^

How NOT to hold your bow;

Kern_A_False_Note.jpg

Edited by Rue
...stalked by typos...

42 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

….

but you know what, if we go into the realism of musical instruments in paintings we could start an endless MN discussion about who is right and who is wrong.

(Uups, shouldn’t have said that. :ph34r:)

We did...a while ago...I'll link to it if I can find it...

I have two reproductions of paintings in my workshop that I think are quite accurate:

This is "The Old Violin" circa 1890 in the National Gallery of Art.  The lower corners and the F holes are a bit off, but it looks like an accurate depiction of a crude violin.

775769671_P1140899(2).thumb.JPG.9749a434f5eb47f3d272e533dc6fb112.JPG

This one is by a local New Hampshire artist, late 20th Century.  It looks exactly right to me; even the Becker chinrest is recognizable.

P1140894.thumb.JPG.382b01916f8281828750c7d1bab712e6.JPG

On 1/8/2022 at 7:01 PM, Violadamore said:

As always, minds on "idle" are the mainspring of Maestronet.  :lol:

I remember taking off from a frosty Tallahassee on morning, headed east to 75 S., windows still up, then turned off the heat, got closer to Gainesville the window is opened slightly, then the other, then the wing vents, unbuttoned shirt, took shirt off to t-shirt only, rolled windows down and couldn't believe the temperature transformation all with-in 20 - 25 miles.

From Leesburg south to Key Largo was a joy!!  Then realized I still had to traverse deep into the keys for a few more hours.  

On 1/9/2022 at 9:05 AM, Rue said:

...it's been -40°C...for days...:ph34r:

I've had +40C just then. Better still, this time of year a few years back, I travelled from +40C in Perth Australia to -40C in Alberta Canada. There are no words to describe the shock to the body; don't need to be made of wood to get into trouble.